Problems with my spear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm having a problem with my Amazon Spear. When I purchased from the LFS it had a few tiny little brown spots on the leaves. Now two weeks later some of those brown spots are gapping holes in the leaves. I'm wondering if maybe there is a problem with my substrate or if there may have been some sort of plant disease right from the start? I have a 33gal tank with med to large gravel(4mm - 8mm) with an undergravel filter(soon to be HOT). It is still cycling and has two other plants(names unknown) which seem to be thriving.

Thanks for any info

Ian

I'm having a problem with my Amazon Spear.
When I purchased from the LFS it had a few tiny little brown spots on the leaves. Now two weeks later some of those brown spots are gapping holes in the leaves.
I assume you mean Amazon Sword plant. :wink:

Plants with heavy root systems typically dont do too well with a UG filter.
Also, some plants are grown emersed (out of water, hydroponic) then when they are submerged, they will shed the old leaves and grow awhole new set, any new leaves sprouting from the base of the plant?
I have a 33gal tank with med to large gravel(4mm - 8mm)

Nothing wrong with that, but you may want to supplement that with some flourite or laterite, or just plain aq fertilizer tablets, but not before you get rid of the UG fitler.

Also need to know about your lighting, Amazon Swords need pretty good light.

Corvus is right on about the hydrophonic plants. I had the same prob when I first started and I thought the same. If you're patient and keep the water levels normal, plus adding substrate like florite in your tank, the plants will come around. Also... what lighting do you have for that planted tank???

Re:

Ok yeah your right Sword. :oops: Oops still quite new at this. My lighting is a 24"-20 watt Aqua-glo its supposed to be a color enhancer. I was thinking of adding laterite but was told that with an under gravel filter this was not the way to go, thats why I'm upgrading to the HOT.

Thanks

Ian

OK, most plants 2 watts per gallon (wpg) or more to do well. You have less than 1 wpg so this may well not be enough light for a sword plant. there are a good bit of low-light plants out there that would prolly do well in your tank. depending on your budget, you may look to retrofit y our hood with stronget lighting.

first things first, what kind of hang on filter you looking to get? the ug has got to go if you want live plants.

I bought an amazon about two months ago, with I think the same thing. Brown spots that became holes. The plant is doing fine, But it introduced snails into my aquarium. Not that I mind them, but they can get out of hand. I have no facts to back it up, but I thought maybe the spots were where the snails layed eggs or something.

Of course I agree with Corvuscorax, minimum 2 watts per gallon and the UGF has to go.

Re

Ok under gravel filter gone. I replaced it with a Fluval 3. Pumps 185gal per hour. I don't really have the funds to upgrade my lighting so if you have any suggestions on low light plants that would be appreciated. I'm also currently looking for laterite but all the lfs close to my place are out and Big Als only has a mother huge bag of flourite and some other japanese or chinese plant substrate for huge dollars. So for the time being i've added some plant fertilizer that they suggested at the lfs cannot remember the name(shaped like a cone). Hopefully i can sort this out.

Thanks everybody!

Ian

Java fern, Java Moss, some Anubias species, dwarf val/sag, all pretty good. Esp. reccomend Java Fern, I love the stuff!
I'm also currently looking for laterite but all the lfs close to my place are out

Ask them to order some, or go online and get 1 box of First Layer Laterite. Its reasonable, and not heavy, so shipping won't kill you. I'd go with getting the LFS to order some. Be patient, all is well, you don't have to have it immediately, the ferts. will do for now.

Hey, for the undergravel filter, I wouldn't think you needed to take it out, because there are lava rock type things that you put on top of the gravel and fill it with gravel. Kindof like a big, natural looking pot that won't clog the filter. They probably have it at your LFS.

Hey, for the undergravel filter, I wouldn't think you needed to take it out, because there are lava rock type things that you put on top of the gravel and fill it with gravel

Conan, no offense, but UG filters are really bad in a planted tank, they dont work because of roots. Besides, Ian ditched it already.

Back
Top Bottom