problems with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfishcomer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought two new plants because I wanted to restart my tank with a more natural look and iv come acrossed the problem that my fish seem to move the gravel and for the plants get up rooted I just bought them so they have had time to root themselves in

newfishcomer said:
I bought two new plants because I wanted to restart my tank with a more natural look and iv come acrossed the problem that my fish seem to move the gravel and for the plants get up rooted I just bought them so they have had time to root themselves in

What kind of plants and what kind of fish are we talking about? Cichlids, eels, blood parrots ect. Will all uproot and even tear up plants (well, the eel wont)

Well I have 3 irridicas sharks 1 coy 3 angles 3 barbs 2 tiger I think 1 gold and 2 cordis the plants I bought were called under waters ferns

I move the gravel over and cover the.roots and part of it with enough to keep it from moving when the fish swim by

newfishcomer said:
I move the gravel over and cover the.roots and part of it with enough to keep it from moving when the fish swim by

Id just replant them and see if it happens again

You could get some of those lead strips and wrap your plants with them. After a while they should hold themselves down and you can take the weights off before they hurt the plants stem

With stem plants I usually bend them over a inch or so under the substrate. It seems to work I was having the same problem.

Bear74 said:
With stem plants I usually bend them over a inch or so under the substrate. It seems to work I was having the same problem.

This is what I do also. They seem to root really nice and grow straight From where they're planted. I've only had 1 wisteria come up in 1 month.

The two plants I have really dont have stems. Sorry im just now trying to get thr tank back to looking good I had some money problems a little while back

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120813_023414.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120813_023414.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 62
The two plants I have really dont have stems. Sorry im just now trying to get thr tank back to looking good I had some money problems a little while back

That would be a Java fern.

Well I have 3 irridicas sharks 1 coy 3 angles 3 barbs 2 tiger I think 1 gold and 2 cordis the plants I bought were called under waters ferns

Are you trying to spell iridescent sharks? How big is your tank? Like 500 gallons?

You could get some of those lead strips and wrap your plants with them. After a while they should hold themselves down and you can take the weights off before they hurt the plants stem

Do not use LEAD in an aquarium. The weights on plants are not made of lead.

No once they get to big for the 90 gallon ill just seperate all the fish into diffrent tanks and set up a 150 gallon but thatll be another year or two but I used fake plants to cover one they still pulled it out so I have no clue what to do

You can try these > Professional Plant Anchors (on sale)(reg. $2.29)

They can be covered by top gravel pretty well without planting roots too deep. They are a bargin at $2.29 but the shipping is a rip off.

Ps you have bottom rooters, get used to replanting; especially, when they grow big. You can try tying the plants to a rock with fishing line and planting the rock (shallowly) as long as the roots are still 1/4" below substrate. Worth a shot but warning... if they tug too hard, fishing line may cut roots.
Good luck :fish2:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom