Problems with Vals - need help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
2 questions.....

After wrangling with some new Vals for a hour I am thoroughly fed up! I can't get them so that the root is planted and the crown is still showing above the gravel.

1. Do you think they will be OK if the roots are touching and partly in the gravel but the crown is maybe a centimeter or two above it?

2. Also, second question. My first batch died. I am now realizing it's because I planted them too deep and buried the crown. My second batch, I just replanted to keep the crown above gravel and I saw that in some of them the roots are already brown. Anything I can do to save them?

You could try and plant some of the roots into the substrate. Then pile the substrate over the roots up to the crown. I think they should be ok if they are a little bit above. They will pull themselves down with there roots or runners.

You could try and plant some of the roots into the substrate. Then pile the substrate over the roots up to the crown. I think they should be ok if they are a little bit above. They will pull themselves down with there roots or runners.

Thanks, yes that is what I was trying to do bit it seems that the roots are just quite flimsy and they just slide out and the plants keep floating up. But if you think they will be ok a little above......I will just leave them and hope for the best!

I've had the same issue. Had to plant my deeper and they stayed in place; but now I'm wondering if planting too deep is causing them to "not grow well". Mine look green, but scrawny.

Your Vallisneria

2 questions.....

After wrangling with some new Vals for a hour I am thoroughly fed up! I can't get them so that the root is planted and the crown is still showing above the gravel.

1. Do you think they will be OK if the roots are touching and partly in the gravel but the crown is maybe a centimeter or two above it?

2. Also, second question. My first batch died. I am now realizing it's because I planted them too deep and buried the crown. My second batch, I just replanted to keep the crown above gravel and I saw that in some of them the roots are already brown. Anything I can do to save them?

Hello sal...

Vallisneria grows best in small groups of two or three plants and a couple of inches between them for growing room. This plants really does best with strong light, so your average tank lighting won't be enough. Plants that require higher light will need higher end fertilizers, possibly CO2. These systems are pricey and tricky to operate.

If you have a basic tank set up, I'd avoid Vallisneria.

Just an opinion though.

B

Sorry sallyjano, not trying to highjack your thread but I'm on same page. When you say groups, describe? Are the 2-3 plants touching with spacing around the group, or are the 2-3 plants spaced apart from one another? I currently run probably med light with pressurized co2. Mine have been in my tank for a year and they look pale and weak.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Vals will fill a space if they are in the right conditions. The right conditions aren't very demanding. They will flourish in plain gravel, no ferts, and medium light.
I plant them by buring the plant too dee, with the roots spread as much as possible, and then, pull them up to the right depth. This can be difficult if the roots have been trimmed too short.

This tank has plain gravel no ferts, 2 3 year old T8 32 watt tubes 6" above the tank, and one Bristle Nose pleco. I recently took out between 300 and 400 plants for sale. Prior to that I would grow in excess of 1,000 chain swords in there, per year.

I've done lots of reading up on Vals and people say different things. Some people are adamant it grows like crazy in their low tech tanks and it's virtually impossible to kill, others say they keep trying and just can't get it to grow no matter what they do. I don't know what the difference is. Wish I knew as I'd love to have the thick wall of them like BillD!

If you see that s strong newly planted group of Vals are melting (slowly turning transparent), should you cut if off just a above the substrate or let nature take its course?

Thanks
MeCasa

Back
Top Bottom