Propagating stem clippings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For plants that propagate by stem clippings, like ludwigia, can I cut a single 16-inch stem into four 4-inch segments and basically make 4 plants?

Just make sure to have 4 to 6 leaves per clipping, excluding the two bottommost leaves which I rip and throw away?

You could, most people use the top parts because they are bushier, and the bottom parts are leggier. Remember to cut at the leaf nodes and plant so that there is a long stem to stick into the substrate.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think the bottom parts will become less leggy and more bushy after they are clipped. Just like land plants. I just wasn't sure if midsection clippings would die.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Then in that case no, middle parts wont die. But I do think that the bottom parts will stay leggy.

OK. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Then in that case no, middle parts wont die. But I do think that the bottom parts will stay leggy.

That's correct. For some reason aquarium stem plants don't seem to regrow llost leaves at all. Probably because it's a lower light area and not beneficial to expennd energy doing so.

Back
Top Bottom