proper fert combo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZakTheRipper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I use some Kent freshwater pro-plant (1-0-0) and Seachem's Flourish Supplement (Fe, Ca, Mg and 0.7-0.01-0.37). Am I not getting enough of the macronutrients, or is this sufficient?

My plants are all looking rather unhealthy (about half the leaves are browned or have a loss of pigment). They get more than adequate lighting and CO2. Maybe my pH was too low (around 6.1, but it's about 7.1 now), but I believed plants preferred slightly acidic water.

define adequate light and co2.

if you ph is 7.1 what is your kh.

how are you raising/lowering your ph?

From the Plants Need Help Sticky:

~Plant(s) affected?
~Tank size/volume?
~Lighting/wpg?
~Do you inject CO2? If so do you know the level?
~What do pH, KH, PO4, NH3 and/or NO3 test kits say?
~Dosing? What/how much/how often?
~Heavily, moderately, or lightly planted?
~Fish stock?
~Tank Location (near windows - in direct sunlight)?
~How long has tank been set up?

Making sure to answer all these questions will help ensure that we are giving you the best advice possible.

Both of the fertilizers that you listed provide Trace Ferts only and do not provide any macros. If you wanted to dose Macros you would have to pick up Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus, and Flourish Potassium (examples from the Seachem Line of ferts). Your test results will determine whether or not NO3 and PO4 dosing are necessary. For Potassium Dosing you will need to go by the health of your plants.

Here's a link for help determining what deficiencies your tank is suffering from.

Back
Top Bottom