Pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't grown bamboo in a tank so I can't give worthwhile info about what light conditions it would need. I've only ever grown it in a short vase next to a window. Google it. It's what we all do if we can't find other hobbyist who have experience with a certain plant we want to keep. The guy I saw growing lots of it in his tank had no lid and 2 24" T8 fluorescent lights over them. About 4 inches were above the water. I'm sure there are other ways to do it. A bamboo tank is pretty rare.

As far as lights go, do I have enough for java fern and anubias

Oh definitely. That's a fine wattage for those plants. Just replace the bulbs when they're a year or so old, make certain to use daylights and you should be able to grow ferns, mosses, anubias, some crypts and other low light plants with ease. Dose lightly with liquid fertilizer.

So about 8 hrs of light then? And what brand of fertilizer do you recommend

jackwagon said:
So about 8 hrs of light then? And what brand of fertilizer do you recommend

I would just get Seachem Flourish. It has pretty much all the nutrients you should need in small amounts.

Both of my Lfs didn't have java fern or Anubias should I go to another store or think about ordering from online

You can always call a shop before you drive there. I live far from any nit so local fish stores so there's that. If everybody's out of them you may want to look into ordering online. I've ordered from other hobbyist from the planted tank.com. If you become a member (100% free) you can order from the swap and shop. If you go that rout keep the heat in mind.

I forgot this but my local Petco had some anubias in a plastic tube. It looked healthy but it just seemed weird that a plant could survive in a tube like that. Would his be an ok purchase?

It's fine to buy it like that. That's how they can guarantee that it's snail free. If they put it in a tank it would be prone to harboring snails. Some people raise a fuss about em'.

PWCs weekly will lower Nitrates. With plants you want to do that anyway. I aim to keep my Nitrates below 20ppm. My plants need some , but too much is bad for my Shrimp.

My goal is to keep it below 20 also but it seems like every other day I have to do a 50% water change just to keep it there

jackwagon said:
My goal is to keep it below 20 also but it seems like every other day I have to do a 50% water change just to keep it there

Why are yours too high ? If so you aren't cycled yet or overfeeding ? They should not shoot up.

Test your tap water also.

I'm cycled and probably underfeeding to be honest,I was just seeing if that was the problem

Back
Top Bottom