Pros and Cons of Live Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brett6977

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been thinking about getting live plants for my tank. I know I would have to get UV lights, but what are the main benefits of putting live plants in your tank? Are there any fish like to eat? Are there any cons to having live plants over fake ones?

The only con is that you have to replace florescent bulbs. Having live plants decrease nitrate, and I think they look better than plastic ones. What size tank and were just planning on doing lower light plants?

I have a 55 gallon... and I'm not sure. I think they look better too and I like the natural feel to the tank. Basically I'm really interested in getting live plants I just don't know anything about them really.

Well I would start with low light plants such as java fern/moss, anacharis, rotala, and crypts. Since a 55 is so deep you would need a pretty good lighting system. I'm not sure on a great system so other members would have to chime in

I have a few 55g tanks and mainly us 2 fixture T5HO lighting on them. There are different brands for different prices so you'd have to check around to see what is available within your budget. My fixtures are mostly Coralife.

With this lighting in a 55 I can grow Swords, Crypts, Vals, Dwarf Sag, Ambulia, Narrowleaf Temple, Mosses, Java ferns (reg and wendilov), anubia, and several others.

Oh advantages.... makes tank look more natural, fish look better in natural setting, uses nutrients in the water column which aids in keeping your water cleaner. Cons, have to spend alittle more time with upkeep (planting, pruning).

I have a 55 gallon planted and all I run is T5NO, not HO. I grow a decent variety.

Attachments

• image-3437563381.jpg
    image-3437563381.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 121
I do not believe there are truly any universal disadvantages to live plants. Some individual species may be picky and have disadvantages, but as a general rule, live plants are better than fake/no plants.
Better oxygenation, nutrient uptake, natural look/feel for the owner, natural look/feel for the fish, breeding grounds, increased biodiversity, dynamic appearance (they grow and change), increased lighting shows off the fish better. Win, win.

jackwagon said:
Well I would start with low light plants such as java fern/moss, anacharis, rotala, and crypts.

Rotala is actually a moderate to high light plant. Mine does really well in my tank with high light and co2. I tried putting some clippings in my low light / low tech tank and it didn't do so well. However, as you mentioned, the others such as crypts, java fern, and various mosses will tolerate low light conditions. Swords would be okay too as long you can supply the roots a good source of iron (i.e. Root tabs).

Anyway, to the OP, i would think the only disadvantage, IMO, is if you don't take precautions to clean and sanitize a plant before introducing it to your tank. I've accidentally introduced nasty little critters and parasites by just throwing new plants in.

Overall, the pros of live plants are just too many to pass up.

Would I need Co2 and or fertilizer at all? And I clean my tank by suctioning out the stuff from the bottom with a tube will I hurt the roots of the plants if I clean the tank that way?

Brian_Nano12g said:
Rotala is actually a moderate to high light plant. Mine does really well in my tank with high light and co2. I tried putting some clippings in my low light / low tech tank and it didn't do so well. However, as you mentioned, the others such as crypts, java fern, and various mosses will tolerate low light conditions. Swords would be okay too as long you can supply the roots a good source of iron (i.e. Root tabs).

Anyway, to the OP, i would think the only disadvantage, IMO, is if you don't take precautions to clean and sanitize a plant before introducing it to your tank. I've accidentally introduced nasty little critters and parasites by just throwing new plants in.

Overall, the pros of live plants are just too many to pass up.

Thanks! I'm glad I could learn something. For low light plants, you don't need co2.

Following because I have the same interest and questions. I have one anubias now with no special lights but might want to expand.

I'd say.... That when plants die they can get mess contributing to nitrates. Another one... at least for me, would be certain plants reproduce faster and spread throughout the tank. This can be a pain if you aren't too fond of the plant.

Overall the benefits far outweigh the cons. They are both a natural decoration, barrier, AND food. As far as plants on a 55g there are a variety of plants that will do well with low lights and proper ferts. Prior to upgrading the lights on my 55g I ran two (basically one) T8 lights. Things survived but did not thrive.

Another PRO.... You never have to worry about watering them! :)

Would I need Co2 and or fertilizer at all? And I clean my tank by suctioning out the stuff from the bottom with a tube will I hurt the roots of the plants if I clean the tank that way?

greetings.

co2 is only neccessary for higher demanding plants, "low tech" plants can do fine without. however, in pretty much every case adding co2 does improve growth. but with easy to keep plants it's not something to worry about.

i would say fertilizer is a must, either a liquid fertilizer that includes all micro and macro nutrients or a basic liquid fertilizer and tabs to place under the plants.

as for gravel cleaning, you sould not do it near the plant for 2 reasons. 1 is that you could very likely damage the root system, and 2 the plants use the goey stuff that is near the roots.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

Back
Top Bottom