Pruning Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
College Kid said:
A heavily planted shrimp jungle sounds awesome. I want to see pics when that goes up!

How bad is just generic gravel for plants?

Also how necessary is a CO2 system? How does it work? Do I need it for Anubis and swords (all I have now)?

Sorry for the ? Bombardment btw

If you want to see mine, click on my Avatar to see the pics on my Profile page.

Generic gravel is fine for basic easy plants. Or you can just use Anubias and Ferns and not "plant" at all. Just tie them to wood or rock or decor. I have to say I am NOT a fan of Clown Puke colored gravel. My gravel is natural colored and allows my fish and plants to show off.

A CO2 system is not necessary for Low Light tanks IMHO. And may kill Shrimp. You can add CO2 to Shrimp tanks, but you must adjust slowly.

High Light/High Tech tanks need CO2 or you'll just grow an Algae Farm.

Coursair said:
FYI you do NOT have to use Dirt !!! Some do like the Walstad Method (Google it yah lazy people LOL ). But many of us enjoy our planted tanks without dirt. Mine use sand and root caps and mine grow VERY well. See my pics on my profile page. I've exceeded the limit so cannot post any pics.

Organic Potting Soil is a valid substrate. Capped with Sand. BUT I move my plants often, so I don't want to deal with it.

There are many suitable substrates for planted tanks. Eco Complete, Flourite, AquaSoil, Pool Filter Sand, I'm using Blasting Sand.

There are many great resources to learn about planted tanks. This site has Sticky Threads about lighting and such.

The Planted Tank has amazing forums full of info. and plants for sale.

See if you have a club near you. I really enjoy mine, plus free plants :)

Tina
member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

As you've said, dirt is nowhere needed for low tech plants like swords. I use sand for all my plants and they are great. I also use seachem flourish excel. You may also need to test your iron level in the water.

College Kid said:
that looks totally sweet. I want one now. What kind of shrimp are the red and white ones?

Crystal Red Shrimp aka CRS. Mine are SS grade mostly Hinomaru No Entry ( refers to the marking on the back )

The higher the grade ( more white) the more delicate the Shrimp seem to be.

Cherry Shrimp (RCS) are the best to start with IMO. I learned on them before I got CRS.

If you want to breed shrimp Moss tanks with sponge filters are the norm. But I like my plants.

Will they breed in regular planted tanks, or unplanted tanks in general? I've wanted RCS for a while but haven't committed yet. Lol. I've only experienced ghost shrimp

I don't even run filters on my tank. cherry shrimp are livebarers I think? So they should be easier than ghost shrimp o breed

College Kid said:
Will they breed in regular planted tanks, or unplanted tanks in general? I've wanted RCS for a while but haven't committed yet. Lol. I've only experienced ghost shrimp

Live plants are important as they graze off the biofilm. They love Moss :)

Regular planted is fine. Just needs to be well cycled and keep the Nitrates low.

ZHiTcH41 said:
I don't even run filters on my tank. cherry shrimp are livebarers I think? So they should be easier than ghost shrimp o breed

They breed easily once they are established. Ghost need salt water to raise babies.

I use HOB filters with a sponge over the intake.
I don't like filters IN my tank taking up room.
I don't use heaters. My tanks stay 70-72f

Back
Top Bottom