Purchased new plants- potting medium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought crypts and anubias. They might have been potted, for the roots are incased in some type of white fiber- it's almost like filter floss.

Let me know if you need a picture.

Am I better off planting the crypts with or without this strange floss? The anubias I would like to strip of the floss.

Thanks!

I would remove as much as possible while being as gentle as you can with the roots. It won't hurt to leave some of it on there, but it kind of tends to make a mess if you leave too much, as it breaks down after time in the tank.

fort384 said:
I would remove as much as possible while being as gentle as you can with the roots. It won't hurt to leave some of it on there, but it kind of tends to make a mess if you leave too much, as it breaks down after time in the tank.

Thank you, that's what I thought. It's so difficult to get it off the crypts! The roots are so densely intertwined within the fibers. It's a good thing, I've never seen such nice root systems, but still!

I think it's already been said, remove the floss carefully and plant like you would anything else.

Back
Top Bottom