Question about Activated Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bags101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does it remove the Iron, Copper, and any other stuff that is in Flourish. Is it ok to have with a planted tank?

It's not really necessary to run AC all the time as it goes back so quickly. That being said, I don't think that you're going to run into very many problems with AC and plant ferts, especially if you're only running it for a week at a time.

It's not really necessary to run AC all the time as it goes back so quickly. That being said, I don't think that you're going to run into very many problems with AC and plant ferts, especially if you're only running it for a week at a time.

Thanks for the help.

I ran it in my tank religiously but did take out my AC and relying on my BB to rid any trates, trites and ammonia.

doesn't it take beneficial nutrients from the water anyway? i use AC at the moment but am about to stop it for when i start up my planted tank. my concern is that i still have slight tannins leaking into the water due to my driftwood and the AC usually helps keep it cleaner and clearer looking for longer.

I've never heard a good explanation for why it pulls out nutrients. It might, but it probably won't be all that significant.

You can try Purigen rather than AC. It may work with tanins, and you can actually recharge it once it's exhausted so you don't have to buy more.

Using Activated Carbon

Does it remove the Iron, Copper, and any other stuff that is in Flourish. Is it ok to have with a planted tank?

Hello Bags...

If you remove and replace half the water in the tank weekly, you don't have to use carbon (chemical) medium. The large, weekly water changes will do more for your aquarium than carbon filtration.

B

Hello Bags...

If you remove and replace half the water in the tank weekly, you don't have to use carbon (chemical) medium. The large, weekly water changes will do more for your aquarium than carbon filtration.

B

Thanks, I took it out today after the 50% W/C...

Back
Top Bottom