Question about details about tying java moss to driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkins409

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've seen lots of posts about how people use thread or fishing line to tie java moss to driftwood. But... I haven't seen anything about how you actually do it. Do you wind it around and around? Is there a slip knot you use? How do you actually tie this stuff? Is there a how to video you would recommend?

I did this last night for the first time. My driftwood is not movable at this point, so I have to reach both arms into the tank with a piece of fishing line, trying to wrap the moss to the driftwood. You can't really see what you are doing from the top of the tank and and it looked likes a clumsy mess when I was finished.

If it's java moss you can kind of wedge it in a crack or split of the wood and it should grab hold on it's own..

This is what I do.
Take a length of fishing line and lay it on your work surface. Tease apart the moss so you have strands and lay them across the line. When you have the amount you want, tie the line around the moss, not too tight to damage it, and knot it. The line can then be tied around your bog wood, ornament etc and trimmed off. The moss will soon grow naturally and evidence of the initial 'bunch' will be gone. I have attached a pic of the result about 8 weeks later. The middle piece was a reasonably sized 'cutting' from the right hand piece. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391032602.631704.jpgHope that's of some help.

Thank you both. That was helpful. I did it over again it and it looks much better

What I did was take the fishing line and cut it to about 10 inches. Then I made a loop, then remembered a fishing line knot that would work like a slip knot that still grips the line tightly. I mad several of these loops with the slip knot before I got started. Then I laid several strands of java moss in a row, then took that bundle of moss and put it inside one of the fishing line loops I made - I did not pull it tight, yet. At this point, I took the entire loop with java moss slipped it over the end of a driftwood branch, then pulled the line just tightly enough that it held the java moss against the driftwood, but not too tight because I did not want to damage the plant. Because the fishing line is hard to pull underwater (it easily slips out of my hand) I used some needle nose pliers to grip it. Once pulled snug, I trimmed the fishing line with scissors. Then I laid out a few more strands of java moss out, grabbed another loop I made, and repeated.

Basically, the whole idea was to make fishing line zip ties. It worked great.

Glad to hear it went well. You'll soon be giving it away. From my first bunch last.october I now have two more, a load in my RCS tank and gave some to a friend. It grows like mad in the right conditions.

If I attatch the java moss to a piece of wood will it just grow on that log or will it eventually spread to other surfaces and take over?

The Moss will increase in size and eventually attach itself to the bog wood, much in the way ivy does to trees. It won't extend out of control but if it gets too big then just trim it back. It will look a little less green for a week or so but sprout out again. Loose floating pieces will try to get a grip on something and if left alone may start up a new growth. IMO Java Moss is one of the heroes in my tank and I encourage it's growth.

Back
Top Bottom