Question About Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callietanks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In August I am setting up a 30 long planted tank. I have a piece of driftwood that I am soaking right now to get the tannins out but my question is if I soak it now and let it dry out before August will the tannins come back? That might be a stupid question but I have battled with tannins before and I really want this tank to look good.

I've always boiled my drift wood to get the tannins out I've never done the soaking process but I know if you want to do with soaking way it takes about a month. if you have a big enough pan or a 5 gallon bucket to pour water into you can boil the wood instead. do it for 5 times with fresh water each time about 20 minutes each time

I've always boiled my drift wood to get the tannins out I've never done the soaking process but I know if you want to do with soaking way it takes about a month. if you have a big enough pan or a 5 gallon bucket to pour water into you can boil the wood instead. do it for 5 times with fresh water each time about 20 minutes each time

I wanted to boil it but I don't have a pot big enough, that is why I have started soaking now. I'm just worried I am going to spend all this time soaking it but the point will be mute if it dries out and still turns my water brown

You can pour boiling water in what ever you're soaking it in and get the same effect. I had to do that in some 5 gallon buckets for a few of my larger pieces. It worked the same.

The tannins won't return once the wood dries. It's good that you've started soaking it now though, so you have plenty of time to get as much as you can out.

Your Piece of Driftwood

In August I am setting up a 30 long planted tank. I have a piece of driftwood that I am soaking right now to get the tannins out but my question is if I soak it now and let it dry out before August will the tannins come back? That might be a stupid question but I have battled with tannins before and I really want this tank to look good.

Hello Cal...

Wood can leach tannins for quite a while. Since tannic acid from the wood doesn't harm the tank, I would just rinse it well and put it in so I could enjoy it. You can remove the tannins by changing the tank water. Since you have to do the water changes anyway, why not put in the driftwood right away?

B

Hello Cal...

Wood can leach tannins for quite a while. Since tannic acid from the wood doesn't harm the tank, I would just rinse it well and put it in so I could enjoy it. You can remove the tannins by changing the tank water. Since you have to do the water changes anyway, why not put in the driftwood right away?

B

Some people don't like the look of tannins, so they prefer to remove them before adding wood to the tank. Since the tank isn't going to be set up for a while, the OP would like to get a head start on removing them - that way the wood will be ready when the tank is set up.

Prepping Driftwood

Some people don't like the look of tannins, so they prefer to remove them before adding wood to the tank. Since the tank isn't going to be set up for a while, the OP would like to get a head start on removing them - that way the wood will be ready when the tank is set up.

Hello bud...

Perfectly fine with me. However, boiling the wood will weaken the fiber and the piece won't stay together quite a long. Just saying, since driftwood will dissolve in the tank water eventually and break apart anyway.

B

Hello bud...

Perfectly fine with me. However, boiling the wood will weaken the fiber and the piece won't stay together quite a long. Just saying, since driftwood will dissolve in the tank water eventually and break apart anyway.

B

Yes that will definitely happen, but over the course of several years.

Tannins also drop the pH of your water as well which is undesirable for some.

My tank was super yellow from the driftwood, so I used purigen in my filter and in 24 hours the yellow water was crystal clear! I have a before and in progress (12 hours later) photo here

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413776254261.jpg
    1413776254261.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 50
And now it is crystal clear. And I never soaked the wood. I boiled the wood once for 20 min but still released plenty of tannins. I am a huge supporter of purigen. That stuff works miracles

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413776277326.jpg
    1413776277326.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 54
I used to bake wood for my take. This was WAY before I knew about tannins. I simply baked it to kill anything that might be in it that would hurt my tank.

I never dealt with it in the past. Does baking help stop the leeching?

I used to bake wood for my take. This was WAY before I knew about tannins. I simply baked it to kill anything that might be in it that would hurt my tank.

I never dealt with it in the past. Does baking help stop the leeching?
Nope, baking isn't going to have an effect on tannins. The only way is soaking or boiling.

Back
Top Bottom