Question about lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe5688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have 2 36" t8 fixtures on my 100g.

My one bulb is a coralife trichromatic bulb which apparently is 6500k

My other bulb is a glo-flora glo bulb which is 2700k.

When I bought the flora bulb it is apparently for planted tanks. Everything I've read on here says 5700k to I think like 6500k is best for plants.

Can someone help me with my confusion? Lol

Also my tank is 18" deep and the bulbs are 30 watt. That puts me at the low light correct?

I haven't noticed a growth difference from one side to the other.

Thanks,

joe

Yeah, you're in pretty low light--T8's, from what I can tell, are really the bulb to use the watts per gallon rule since that appears to be where it originated, and you're at 60 watts for 100 gallons.

Around 6500, 6700, is considered best for plants because that is the closest to the natural daylight spectrum so it contains a fair balance of the red and blue ends of the light spectrum. You get lower, you get more red. You get higher (say, the 10,000K bulbs) you get the blue. I guess the 2700k could balance you out if you had an 8000 to 10000k bulb as well, but not necessary for your case.

Maybe because a lot of the light strips I've seen sell the 10,000K bulbs so the 2700K balances them out? Or because companies sell stuff that people will buy, whether it's necessary or not. :D

Once again, Kelvin rating has very little impact on light levels beyond nuance. Most lights of the same technology (ie T8) will have similar light levels, especially if they're from the same brand. Pretty much any of the lights between 10000K and 4000K will work, and many outside that range will work, notably some Hagen Glo bulbs at 18000K and 2700K that work fine. Much more important in the consideration of bulb temperature is how pleasing the bulbs look to you from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

Except actinics and 50/50 bulbs. Avoid them if you can.

Temperature doesn't matter for most plant bulbs. Go with what looks nice to you.

Low kelvin bulbs might look funky (ie very yellow).

Back
Top Bottom