Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question about Lighting/Ferts~!

Hi everyone, tonight my question is simple but let me explain a few things first:

I know if you have a very intense light, that you need the Ferts and or CO2 to keep up with it or you get algae like no tomorrow! SO, my question is: can i just use ferts and root tabs to provide my plants with what they need and to keep algae away? I am not really a novice/beginner when it comes to plants however i am by no means overly experienced and am still learning new things everyday through my own experiences and research! Therefore, i would rather not go down the rabbit hole of CO2 setups at the moment. I am currently using Flourish Excel but i know there are way better ferts out there so if anyone can recommend one that works great for my tanks that would be incredible! There's just so many to choose from sometimes it's better to go out and ask fellow hobbyists what works best for them.

(Light specs: 15W, 6500K, 850LM, 72PAR)

Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

72 PAR at what depth?
Tank size?

Flourish Excel is not fertilizer, it is a mild algaecide that breaks down protein films on plant leaves allowing them to better utilize atmospheric CO2 concentrations, along with helping to control algae. Use at the "after water change" rate daily, or else it will not be of noticeable benefit.

All in one ferts such as Thrive are good, Flourish line up is not worth the money unless you are using a specific one for a specific reason. The issue with all in one fertilizers is you have no control over each ingredient. If you want to target a certain ppm of Nitrate, you are stuck with whatever dose of Phosphate you get by targeting the Nitrate ppm.

For simple tanks, Flourish comprehensive plus Flourish trace is likely enough, but a shot of macro nutrients (NO3, PO4 and K) will be of benefit.

You can buy EI or PPS pro packages, GLA, aquarium fertilizer . com etc. This will come with what you want:

KNO3
KH2PO4
CSM+B

You can also look into some gH boosters if you need to bump gH up, but stick to ones without the addition of unnecessary levels of K. CaSO4 and MgSO4 are more than sufficient to boost gH.

For root tabs, do not buy overpriced Flourish Tabs. Buy 1000 size 00 edible gel capsules and sill them with Osmocote+ granular fertilizer instead. Way better tabs at a fraction of the price of Flourish / API tabs.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Shii...

The first thing I'd recommend is researching the lighting needs of the plants you want to keep. If you keep plants that require only low to moderate light, you don't need high end lighting and a pricey CO2 system for them to grow, and the ferts the fish produce is generally enough. Do your homework first and then if you find your plants require strong light, then look into a CO2 system or EI dosing.

B
Old 04-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Shii...

The first thing I'd recommend is researching the lighting needs of the plants you want to keep. If you keep plants that require only low to moderate light, you don't need high end lighting and a pricey CO2 system for them to grow, and the ferts the fish produce is generally enough. Do your homework first and then if you find your plants require strong light, then look into a CO2 system or EI dosing.

B

Hey thanks for the reply!

My plants all are low to medium light plants so the light I have should be about good for them. They all are doing fine itís just Iím having some minor algae problems so Iím cutting down the light in small increments to see if that could be the issue(which Iím like 95% sure it is).
Old 04-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
72 PAR at what depth?
Tank size?

Flourish Excel is not fertilizer, it is a mild algaecide that breaks down protein films on plant leaves allowing them to better utilize atmospheric CO2 concentrations, along with helping to control algae. Use at the "after water change" rate daily, or else it will not be of noticeable benefit.

All in one ferts such as Thrive are good, Flourish line up is not worth the money unless you are using a specific one for a specific reason. The issue with all in one fertilizers is you have no control over each ingredient. If you want to target a certain ppm of Nitrate, you are stuck with whatever dose of Phosphate you get by targeting the Nitrate ppm.

For simple tanks, Flourish comprehensive plus Flourish trace is likely enough, but a shot of macro nutrients (NO3, PO4 and K) will be of benefit.

You can buy EI or PPS pro packages, GLA, aquarium fertilizer . com etc. This will come with what you want:

KNO3
KH2PO4
CSM+B

You can also look into some gH boosters if you need to bump gH up, but stick to ones without the addition of unnecessary levels of K. CaSO4 and MgSO4 are more than sufficient to boost gH.

For root tabs, do not buy overpriced Flourish Tabs. Buy 1000 size 00 edible gel capsules and sill them with Osmocote+ granular fertilizer instead. Way better tabs at a fraction of the price of Flourish / API tabs.

Hey thanks for the reply!! The light measure 72 PAR at 12 inches, the tank sizes are 10 gallon and 8.8 gallon. My main focus for the issue was my algae problems which Iím pretty sure are related to excess light. Thank you for the advice on the tabs!! Iím def gonna do that instead cus screw $14 for those flourish tabs haha! Anyways I appreciate the advice!!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello again...

Algae problems aren't necessarily too much light. There may be excess nutrients. Any food that isn't eaten by the fish, dissolves in the tank water and this is a perfect environment for algae growth. Flaked fish foods are generally high in phosphate and this is a good algae nutrient. Gradually work up to the point you change out most of the tank water weekly. This will remove added nutrients and slow the growth of algae.

B
Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting is the single largest proponent of algae growth in my experience.

72 PAR is a lot of light without CO2, so limiting it to 6 hours a day is the biggest step you can make in overcoming algae.

I dose my tank to 6ppm of PO4 and 30ppm of NO3 and yet I don't have algae, nutrients in a planted tank are not a singular cause for algae. Certain nutrients out of balance can promote algae, but in general excess nutrients alone will not cause it.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Lighting is the single largest proponent of algae growth in my experience.

72 PAR is a lot of light without CO2, so limiting it to 6 hours a day is the biggest step you can make in overcoming algae.

I dose my tank to 6ppm of PO4 and 30ppm of NO3 and yet I don't have algae, nutrients in a planted tank are not a singular cause for algae. Certain nutrients out of balance can promote algae, but in general excess nutrients alone will not cause it.

Thanks for your reply! I have already started limiting light down to 7 hours. To be honest the algae isnít even like a HUGE problem for me! Itís just starting to pop up here and there and I wanted to make sure I am on top of it before it becomes a big mess!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello again...

Algae problems aren't necessarily too much light. There may be excess nutrients. Any food that isn't eaten by the fish, dissolves in the tank water and this is a perfect environment for algae growth. Flaked fish foods are generally high in phosphate and this is a good algae nutrient. Gradually work up to the point you change out most of the tank water weekly. This will remove added nutrients and slow the growth of algae.

B

I am VERY careful about feeding my tanks: fed once daily 6 days a week with 1 fasting day and 30% water changes every Sunday like clockwork! This is the reason as to why I believed light could be causing the small amounts of algae to bloom, as with my strict feeding and w/c schedule I didnít believe I could have enough excess nutrients in my tank, however I will switch from flaked food to something else and see if it makes a difference, thank you!
Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe try a 40-50% water change. Couldn't hurt.

Tags
fert, ferts, light, lighting, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com