Question about new plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adadkins1 said:
Java Fern is about as low light as it gets.
The Onion Plant is moderate to bright light.

Ok , thank you ! Do I need to do anything special to keep these plants alive in my tropical fish aqaurium ?

And do I just place them in the tank or do I plant them into the gravel ? :thinking:

George9 said:
You plant them in the gravel.

Alright ! And I've heard the fern I can attach to the driftwood , was wondering how I would do that ? TIA :thumbsup:

You don't need anything for the fern. You can glue or use sewing tread/ fishing line to secure it down.

reefdiver said:
You don't need anything for the fern. You can glue or use sewing tread/ fishing line to secure it down.

I would use the fishing line. I'm not sure about glue, I've never attached plants to wood but glue just sounds like a bad idea. Plus, it's not aquarium safe.

I agree, just use some sewing thread or fishing line to tie your fern onto a rock, driftwood, or other decoration. The onion plant can simply be buried (gently) in the gravel.

What kind of light is this ? ? ? . . .
Aqueon 8,000K Full Spectrum Daylight (HG)
17W 120V T8 24"

Is this light sufficient enough to provide for my onion plant and java fern ?

Ahhh, well the light fixture you mentioned would only work for lower light plants. The Onion might make it, but I am unsure. You could grow Java Fern, Java Moss, Hornwort, Anubias, and Crypts. Other than that, you would be very restricted.

adadkins1 said:
Ahhh, well the light fixture you mentioned would only work for lower light plants. The Onion might make it, but I am unsure. You could grow Java Fern, Java Moss, Hornwort, Anubias, and Crypts. Other than that, you would be very restricted.

Can I upgrade the light bulb or do I have to upgrade the whole light fixture ?

That depends, do you know what the fixture is rated for? How many bulbs does it accept? If it is rated higher than the 17W you mentioned, then you can just upgrade the lights. However, if it is already running at max power, then you would have to get a whole new fixture.

Idk I will have to look into that , it only accepts one long bulb

The tops of my onion plants seem to be dying or losing color . . . Is it ok if I just clip the "dead" ends off with a scissor ? Thanks for the help ! :thumbsup:

Sorry Mikey, I've never really kept Onion plants. I know that with plants similar to it you can try trimming the dead part off. Then if the whole leaf dies, just clip it off as close to the base of the crown as you can.

Back
Top Bottom