Question about splitting an Anubias nana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
91042-albums13851-picture65872.jpg

So, theres my anubias that is from my 5 gal. Betta tank.... I've had that plant about 5 years now. I was going to split it and put some in my new 10 gal. aquarium to spread the love (and some good bacteria)....but I chickened out. I know it's hard to see from the pic, but I was thinking about splitting it just to the right of my thumb, so the new plant has three leaves. But...I was not sure I had enough rhizome to leave the parent plant - each piece would only have about 2/3 an inch rhizome. I can't find another nana at my LF stores.....has anyone some good advice about ordering a plant online? Or...should I go for it?

I have split my anubia nannas several times. Just make sure to include 1-2 leaves and some of the roots. Each one needs to be around an inch. Cut with a sharp knife or razor blade. They will sometimes form offshoots from the cut part that you can later remove for more plants. Aquabid.com has had a lot of anubias or sale lately for good prices.

When I propagate mine, I do so by cutting the rhizome at an angle along one of the "folds" that formed while the plant was growing. I will also trim the rest of that fold off, on the side that I left it attatched to. Not sure why I started doing it this way, but I get new growth on both pieces where I cut within a couple of days. Hope that helps.

Hmmmmm....next time I do a wc, i'll have to pull it out again with a ruler on hand....I'm just not sure I have enough rhizome to go around, but then, I'm famously bad at judging dimensions.

Is that normal though? After 5 years, should I be worried it hasn't spread out more? That brownish stuff around the bottom is some sort of sponge media it came with...it was in a little pot to begin with. I just left it on....

When you get plants in pots with the rock wool you need to remove as much as you can. It is hard to get off if the roots have grown through it but get as much as you can. Anubias seem to be slow growing. I have mine in high light tank with CO2 and dry fertilizers and I can cut it every 4 months or so. Compared to stem plants that is slow. When you cut them they seem to grow faster for awhile.

Hmmm....mine seems to be growing reallly slowly...its grown to it's max size, and puts out leaves like crazy...maybe the rock wool is slowing it's root growth? I guess I'll split it and see what comes of it. It's not something rare that I have to be sad if it does not make it...and it might grow better in the new tank.

I just need to put some more java fern in my betta tank before I try it. It is not filtered, so the plants are keeping it's water oxygenated and providing cover for the beta.

Back
Top Bottom