Question about substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
For a planted tank that houses corydoras, would I be able to combine eco-complete with tahitian moon sand?

I like how the moon sand looks, but I've heard that its too inert for plants. I thought if I added some eco complete it would help make the sand less inert and add some nutrients, while still being safe for the corydoras barbell's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The combination would likely work fine, Eco recommends not mixing it with anything else. A great way to add the sand would be to leave an area on the front of the tank available for sand. Say 2/3 Eco and then the 1/3 sand in the front for them to enjoy sifting into. You could do a corner area instead - like a pond of sand in the substrate.

I have Cories in Eco and their barbels are just fine. 2 Tanks as a matter of fact. Cories are susceptible to barbel degration from poor water quality, which seems to be the biggest problem as I understand it.

Videos of Cories in their natural environment is mostly loose silty or sandy soil and leaf litter. They would probably love some of that too. ;)

They do LOVE playing through the sand though.

The combination would likely work fine, Eco recommends not mixing it with anything else. A great way to add the sand would be to leave an area on the front of the tank available for sand. Say 2/3 Eco and then the 1/3 sand in the front for them to enjoy sifting into. You could do a corner area instead - like a pond of sand in the substrate.

I have Cories in Eco and their barbels are just fine. 2 Tanks as a matter of fact. Cories are susceptible to barbel degration from poor water quality, which seems to be the biggest problem as I understand it.

Videos of Cories in their natural environment is mostly loose silty or sandy soil and leaf litter. They would probably love some of that too. ;)

They do LOVE playing through the sand though.
Do you think I'd need some kind of barrier between substrates to keep them from completely mixing, or is that inevitable?

I think they'd mix eventually. I use sand in all my tanks that have substrate and I just use root tabs and my plants grow just fine. Even with eco-complete you would need fertilizer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a planted tank that houses corydoras, would I be able to combine eco-complete with tahitian moon sand?

I like how the moon sand looks, but I've heard that its too inert for plants. I thought if I added some eco complete it would help make the sand less inert and add some nutrients, while still being safe for the corydoras barbell's.

Tahitian Moon can be replaced by Petco black sand or Petsmart National Geographic sand. Both are low dust and work well for much cheaper. Just FYI

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom