Question about the "pearling" effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just read something that it can be related to your fish load but they didn't really go into detail about it. Has anyone ever heard of this that could explain to me how the two are related?

I am assuming it has something to do with higher fish load = higher oxygen consumption?

Unless you have a very very heavily stocked tank you won't see any pearling. Even then it will be very minimal. It basically involves excess co2 in the water from fish respiration not being balanced by surface agitation.

Could you explain what you mean by this mebbid?
I thought pearling could happen even if no fish were present, if you have high lighting and CO2 injection. I have experienced this in my own tank with very light stocking, I was under the impression that pearling was very common in high tech tanks regardless of stocking.

As far as I know Pearling is the visible production of bubbles of oxygen due to a high photosynthetic rate, for this to occur there has to be enough light and CO2. If the CO2 is present due to fish respiration or artificial CO2 inyection is irrelevant.

Are you afraid your tank is over stocked? I dont think pearling or no pearling is a proper way to asses that. Post your tank volume and stock and members will be able to help you out. Hope this helps.

+1 with Khuli and Andre.
When plant O2 production is great enough that the water can no longer absorb anymore the O2 comes off as bubbles. OS.

Could you explain what you mean by this mebbid?
I thought pearling could happen even if no fish were present, if you have high lighting and CO2 injection. I have experienced this in my own tank with very light stocking, I was under the impression that pearling was very common in high tech tanks regardless of stocking.

My comment was directly responding to fish load and pearling. It just isn't likely to happen without co2 injection.

Not worried no, I was just curious honestly, I like to know why things happen in my tank lol. Was reading some stuff about it and several posts said it only happens when you have a light bio load while others said it only happens when you have pressurized co2 and some said only when bio laod is high lol? Just wanted to get your guys take on it. Like what is happening here, there were a lot of corresponding ideas.

I always understood it to be about a plants photosynthesising ability. When conditions are correct they are flat out producing 'food' for themselves. A by product of this is o2. They are chucking out o2 faster than the water can absorb it so it bubbles up to the surface.

I may be wide of the mark but thats currently my understanding. Open to change lol

Pearling

I just read something that it can be related to your fish load but they didn't really go into detail about it. Has anyone ever heard of this that could explain to me how the two are related?

I am assuming it has something to do with higher fish load = higher oxygen consumption?

Hello je...

Pearling is simply the plants way of ridding itself of added oxygen. When the tank water is saturated with oxygen and the plant has produced as much O2 as it needs, it removes the excess in the form of small bubbles. The effect is different for different plants because of growth rates and the time of day.

B

I think its prob light level that makes the most difference. Those plants that you got pearling are prob fine with your level of lighting. The other plants maybe not so much

Unless you have a very very heavily stocked tank you won't see any pearling. Even then it will be very minimal. It basically involves excess co2 in the water from fish respiration not being balanced by surface agitation.

That is incorrect, I have a 320 litre tank, with 4 x Ottos, and scaped with Belem Dwarf Hair Grass. I am injecting into the tank Co2 - via an inline, saturator, and my tank is pearling from the soil and the grass. So when I read that I need to have a heavily stocked tank, I do not as yet. I am planning to - adding around 30 school fish, but if your tank is at the point where Co2 is being converted to oxygen, then you will see pearling - it has nothing to do with fish..:fish2:

"Pearling"

Hello je...

Didn't read any of the previous posts on the "Pearling" thing, but from what I've seen in my tanks, it's simply the aquatic plants way of removing excess oxygen. I especially notice this immediately after a large water change. A lot of O2 is mixed into the water as the tank fills.

Oxygen is a plant byproduct. It means the plants work to remove it from the environment when they've had enough. This is why you see all the tiny bubbles coming from the plants. It's really noticeable with floating plants. The plant removes the extra from the leaves and it makes a bubble. The bubbles are released and float to the top.

It an amazing thing, but not really a mystery. We know why it happens.

B

Back
Top Bottom