Question on Betta, and Pheonix moss in Fluval Spec 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
Actually 2 questions.

First is, my Betta seems to have trouble swimming. I set the pump to the lowest setting and have the output set to a vertical position spraying to the nearest wall. How should I set the nozzle so the current isn't to much for the Betta?

Second, I just got some Pheonix moss. I have killed ALL the moss I have ever bought. What is the best way to grow moss? The Fluval spec came with a plant appropriate LED. I have added a heater and the water is at 78 degrees. I use Excel and nothing else. What can I do to be sure my moss thrives?

I know the standard questions. All levels are perfect. But that hasn't stopped me from killing plants before.

Actually 2 questions.

First is, my Betta seems to have trouble swimming. I set the pump to the lowest setting and have the output set to a vertical position spraying to the nearest wall. How should I set the nozzle so the current isn't to much for the Betta?

Second, I just got some Pheonix moss. I have killed ALL the moss I have ever bought. What is the best way to grow moss? The Fluval spec came with a plant appropriate LED. I have added a heater and the water is at 78 degrees. I use Excel and nothing else. What can I do to be sure my moss thrives?

I know the standard questions. All levels are perfect. But that hasn't stopped me from killing plants before.

Some mosses prefer cool water. Also you should use Flourish Comprehensive as a main Fert.
The excel is just a Carbon source.
Keep up weekly water changes.

I have tried the Comprehensive. Not a fan. It was thick, and smelly...made the water dark...I am going to try Seachems new aquavitro line.
Plus I have been trying to post pics but have been having troubles. Each time I upload Explorer crashes.
So do you have any recommendations for attaching the moss so it's not a floater? Right now the edge is resting under a tiny terra cotta planter.

Phoenix moss is Fissidens Fontanus. I have a ton of this in my 220g and have found it is the one moss that truely like liquid carbon. It grows very slowly but in nutrient rich tanks and with higher doses of liquid carbon I find it grows very fast. You need to tie/attach it to a piece of DW. It usually attaches fairly quickly.

Phoenix moss is Fissidens Fontanus. I have a ton of this in my 220g and have found it is the one moss that truely like liquid carbon. It grows very slowly but in nutrient rich tanks and with higher doses of liquid carbon I find it grows very fast. You need to tie/attach it to a piece of DW. It usually attaches fairly quickly.

wow! your 220 is beautiful! In my five g. I only care about the moss. What do you recommend for lighting? The Fluval Spec 5 has the 6700 k LED. Should that be enough or do I need to supplement more light or less?

I tried the Fissidens Fontanus in my Fluval Edge 6g's with their stock LED lights and it just didn't take. You "might" have to increase your lighting if the moss starts to lose ground.

Thank you BTW.

Thank you for the information. I will watch it closely. I would hate to kill it...as it is hard to come by at my LFS. I cant find it anywhere near here. (Kenmore wa just outside Seattle)

It seems that you are in good hands for your plants. Let me help you with the betta.

Assuming it is a male betta splendens, any current besides the one that you can barely notice is a strong current for them. Fluvals are NOT a good fit for male bettas. It will cause physical and psychological stress that can lead to low immune system, disease, fin biting and death (not an opinion, just a collection of results from people from this forum, local betta clubs and the planted tank site).

Here are some options: sponge on the intake, sponge on the output or both; Physical barrier to block the current (so the fish can have a safe zone, just look for options on youtube) or heavily planted area to diffuse the current; New, weaker pump.

You will find people saying that their bettas "adapted" to the current and are "perfectly fine" on Fluvals. They are not. they will have a shorter life. If you care about your fish, address this immediately.

Let us know if you need any help.

It seems that you are in good hands for your plants. Let me help you with the betta.

Assuming it is a male betta splendens, any current besides the one that you can barely notice is a strong current for them. Fluvals are NOT a good fit for male bettas. It will cause physical and psychological stress that can lead to low immune system, disease, fin biting and death (not an opinion, just a collection of results from people from this forum, local betta clubs and the planted tank site).

Here are some options: sponge on the intake, sponge on the output or both; Physical barrier to block the current (so the fish can have a safe zone, just look for options on youtube) or heavily planted area to diffuse the current; New, weaker pump.

You will find people saying that their bettas "adapted" to the current and are "perfectly fine" on Fluvals. They are not. they will have a shorter life. If you care about your fish, address this immediately.

Let us know if you need any help.

I am agreement here....betta dont really like water movement. All of my males have had turns in the 10 gals while their water and bowls are being cleaned, and they are usually frantic to leave the tank, by the time I am done cleaning.

Ok. Attached the moss. Found a way to slow the circulation rate for the betta. And I am not breeding. I had no idea a Betta was going to be a difficult fish to care for versus What's in my 55. He started in a bowl, unheated. I felt bad after reading the arguments in the forums here. So that is what prompted me to get the fluval 2g, LFS didn't have one so I got the 5g. Then the hassles ensued. So Hope all goes well. Thank you for everyones help.

It is a very resilient fish. Planted, filtered and heated tank and you're all set. Feed him on a Thursday and you can take an extended weekend, come back on Monday and he is just there, hungry, but there.

I am glad you were able to address his needs. Most of the time bettas are very nice to have as a hassle free fish.

as a kid I have had Bettas. Sitting in a bowl...on a desk. That was long before I actually got into the hobby of "caring" for fish. They would normally live a year or two. Now I know a bit better. Setting him up was a bit of a hassle....but I am sure he will be just fine now.

It is a very resilient fish. Planted, filtered and heated tank and you're all set. Feed him on a Thursday and you can take an extended weekend, come back on Monday and he is just there, hungry, but there.

I am glad you were able to address his needs. Most of the time bettas are very nice to have as a hassle free fish.

Unless you spoil them:brows: Then they are like puppies... always wanting attention or food... mainly food! Now my little guys are all in separate bowls/big jars/etc. but still pampered. None of them wants to live in any of the big tanks, I tried but the all get frantic and do nothing but go up and down on the sides.
Good job at keeping him happy

Here is my solution. I used what I had around the house. A heater holder with some filter pad folded into it. Works great! Circulates the whole tank and keeps the current down. Everyone wins!
61591-albums12332-picture55900.jpg

Back
Top Bottom