question on CO2 sources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pglenn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29g planted tank that I have 2x2liter bottles hooked up to provie the CO2. I am replacing the contents of the bottles, alternateing, 1 every 4 or 5 days. I am using a sugar/yeast mixture for CO2 production.

I was wondering if I would be able to use the Nutrafin Activators and Stabilizers product instead of the sugar/yeast mixture. I have read that the Nutrafi product can last about 1-month per packet. Or is it formulated specifically for the Nutrafin CO2 factory product?

Patrick

its same, the package contain sugar, yeast and NH4 base stabalizer.

A 2L should last 20-30 days (depand on ambient temp). Used 6-8 table spoon of sugar + 1/4 tea spoon yeast + 1/4 tea spoon of bicarbonate.

HTH

if it is the same (as I kinda suspected) it wouldnt be worth it.

In my current 2-liter setup I get bubbling for about 4days from each of the bottles. I am using about 2/3 cup of sugar, a teaspoon of yeast, and the water filled about 4/5 or so in the bottle. I am using Bread Machine yeast which should be ok, but it is refridgerated and it is about 6months or so old. That may make a difference. I am 95% to 99% sure I dont have leaks in my line, but I am using regular airline instead of silicone line or whatever. and no bicarbonite in my mixture, I didnt see that in the online instructions I have been following. Could any/all of those factor into my low production? any advise is more than welcome.

Patrick

What you have is too much yeast and not enough sugar, so the yeast blasts through the sugar in a short period of time, leaving you without CO2.

Try about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of yeast, activated in warm water, and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sugar. The yeast will multiply, so don't worry that it is a stingy amount. See if that does not last for a couple of weeks at least, and let us know.

Thanks - as mentioned I got the *recipe* off some site in the internet and of course everyone has their own opinion. I figured it was too much sugar or too much yeast, one or the other, as it should be lasting longer. makes sense too, as it starts out very heavily bubbling for a day then slows down to nothing over the next 3 or so.

vega, what about the bicarbonate, is that also needed and what for?

Patrick

sort of stabalizer. I am adding cause the recipe i find on net advise to add bicarbonate.

I'd have to agree with Tank Girl.

Also, I'd like to point out. Just because the mixture stops fizzing to the eye. Does'nt mean that it's still not fermenting. Try adding a 20 oz bottle (those widemouth gatorade bottles work great) inline to use as a bubble counter to help see how much CO2 is flowing. Calculating PH and KH is the best possible way to know how much CO2 is actually in the tank. Correctly mixed, it should last a min of 2 weeks, up to 4 weeks.

You also might want to try brewers yeast. It is more resistant to the alcohol it produces :drinking: . Your bread machine yeast is a form that acts quickly, but may not be as resilient.

Patrick,
out of curiousity what are you using for a reactor in your 29 gal?
good advice on reduction of yeast amounts. more sugar can't hurt!

I use 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 tsp yeast and 1/4 tsp baking soda. If the bubbles slow down, shake it up a little. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the inlet strainer of my eheim cannister and insert the tube in the hole. Some cannisters may cavitate and loose prime with this method. There are some easy to build reactors in the DIY section.

I am using about 2/3 cup of sugar, a teaspoon of yeast, and the water filled about 4/5 or so in the bottle.

Totally agree w/Tank girl, waaay more sugar. The yeast needs food! The baking soda(bicarbonate) is to stabilize the ph of your mixture in the bottle, keeping the ph high enough to keep the yeast alive untill all sugar is consumed. without the bicarb., the mix would get too acidic for the yeast to stay active, before all the sugar is consumed.

Back
Top Bottom