Question on installation/new plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, i recently got a radican sword plant that came in a plastic pot type of thing which basically just kept the roots together, so its roots could still go into the gravel and all. I took the plastic thing off and there was a type of foam kindof thing that came with the plant. A little like the green stuff you would use to stick flowers into to make flower arrangements. I didnt know what to do or what it was so i just put the plant into the gravel. I am wondering what I should have done or if i had done it right, or what this "foam stuff" is and what to do with it. I know this is a little unorganized but sorry its late at night. thanks.

Was it a hard foam type or was it that mineral/rock wool which is like a soft SOS pad?

If it is the soft type typically found in potted plants, you need to remove it to allow for plant growth.

Really? Remove the soft stuff? Is this still true in 2012? If I leave it is that a problem?

Gish said:
Really? Remove the soft stuff? Is this still true in 2012? If I leave it is that a problem?

Yes remove it. It will just deteriorate in your tank in you don't and constrict the roots.

Wow a nine year jump there! With larger rooted plants it's true that removing the Rockwool is best. With smaller rooted plants such as an hc Cuba or glosso, if the roots are already established you could cut a majority of the Rockwool off and use the root established rockwool as an anchor in your substrate.

sorry, but I don't get why one should buy potted plants if you have to take them apart. I just did that to the pot that I got. it seems to ruin the sturdy look that it had and it is not as firmly ground into the substrate. I would agree that the roots of this plant are longer and thicker than the bunched plants that I had purchased before.

The pot is there as a means of transportation in the plant nursery to the store to where you bought it. It is also used to keep the roots moist while the plant is grow above water. You could keep the plant as is but the roots might not grow properly through the rockwool over an extended period of time. What plant have you purchased that you have these questions about?

I can't recall the name of the plant. I'll snap some pics tonight. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom