Question on tablets...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering how effective CO2 tablets are, the ones you drop into the tank and supposedly puts some CO2 and other trace elements that plants need into the water. I bought a box today, the Jungle brand. It says to add 1 tablet per 10 gallons, but I only put in 1 in my 26G to help my java moss a little more. Probably doesn't need it, but would like some comments on these tablets and if they are what they are advertised to be.

Probably useless for a heavier planted tank, but Ive just got some java moss on driftwood. Was thinking the tablets would be enough just as an added supplement. I know it's not like a CO2 system. Just wondering if it would be good enough as a supplement to add just a little CO2 and trace elements. Thanks....

Looking at them from a chemical point of view, the amount of reactants a 50 gram or whatever tablet would contain is going to produce relatively little CO2, even for a small tank.

Also, when these are dropped in the tank i'm guessing the bubbles race for the surface and pop? There goes most of your CO2 anyway; even before it can dissolve.

If you wanted you could do the community a service and measure CO2 before and after use of the tablet-Validate their clams or ours, and see who's right. All you need is a way to measure carbonate hardness and pH.

Correct, they produce little CO2, most of it escapes, it certainly doesn't last, and thus its just not cost effective.

They do add some trace minerals to the water, but so does a good comprehensive fert like Flourish.

Back
Top Bottom