Questions about ADA AquaSoil Amazonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My thought is since, (correct me if I'm wrong) this stuff continually leaches ammonia, that my best bet is going to be to just dose the bb as instructed and let it get a good hold in the substate. Now what I don't know is if that will even do the trick. Does Amazonia have an initial greater wave of ammonia or does it continually leach at crazy high levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My thought is since, (correct me if I'm wrong) this stuff continually leaches ammonia, that my best bet is going to be to just dose the bb as instructed and let it get a good hold in the substate. Now what I don't know is if that will even do the trick. Does Amazonia have an initial greater wave of ammonia or does it continually leach at crazy high levels?

I reckon it will leach fast at first but then slow down and then not leach at all. Nobody would buy it if it continually leached ammonia.

I have a very low opinion on bb in a bottle. Best place for it is the bin

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah.. I don't think the ADA soil keeps leaching ammonia forever. The reviews Ive read indicate that its just bad for the first 4-6 weeks.

It probably exponentially decays the fact it's present indicates to me that it will be there until the soil is completely depleted.

Theoretically if you put the ADA AS Amazonia in an aquarium that was filtered would the bb eventually catch up and detoxify the ammonia on it's own and you'd just have a lot of nitrate? Or do you think that the amount of ammonia it leaches at the start is too much to handle?

Theoretically if you put the ADA AS Amazonia in an aquarium that was filtered would the bb eventually catch up and detoxify the ammonia on it's own and you'd just have a lot of nitrate? Or do you think that the amount of ammonia it leaches at the start is too much to handle?

Eventually it should be able to handle it, and since it slows in ammonia leeching the BB will slowly die off to accommodate that.

Yeah I would just cycle it like that. I don't know about the effectiveness of BB in a bottle products but as long as you test ammonia frequently it should work.

I don't really either I was using it when stocking my mbuna tank. So now I guess I might drain the tank to just above the substrate maybe an inch or two above it and empty the bottle o.o? Try to get it to colonize the substrate. I can't imagine it would be harmful to plants and since I have no fish in the aquarium I shouldn't have to worry about a bb bloom... right? Let me know if it's worth a go.

I don't really either I was using it when stocking my mbuna tank. So now I guess I might drain the tank to just above the substrate maybe an inch or two above it and empty the bottle o.o? Try to get it to colonize the substrate. I can't imagine it would be harmful to plants and since I have no fish in the aquarium I shouldn't have to worry about a bb bloom... right? Let me know if it's worth a go.

Well, I can't imagine it would be bad so I guess its ok.

But I'm pretty sure most of the BB live in the filter.

Just plant the tank heavy with stems. They're already coated with BB. They'll spread with that much ammonia present. In this case, the BB in the bottle would be a waste. I find BB in the bottle, specifically tetra safestart (which I know works and is supported by scientific studies) useful for newly setup tanks with a sparse amount of plants, or plants obtained that were grown emersed, or fish-only tanks in which you don't have access to established media or decor (live or not) from established tanks.

BB will obviously be in the water column as you dose from your bottle. They will then seek out a surface to colonise. Substrate, rocks, plants, filters, glassware, powerheads, anywhere really

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is it really worth doing water changes then if the bb is in the water column?

Why not get some established media from your lfs or another fish junkie?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The filters I am using are already used if I didn't have fish in a bucket I'd have both filters on it

I suppose I could pull media from my heavily stocked mbuna tank canister if need be.

I suppose I could pull media from my heavily stocked mbuna tank canister if need be.

Well duh! You'll cycle a tank in a few days will established media? How many other tanks you got man?

I thinking your overthinking this whole thing. Let the amazonia do its thing for a couple weeks then treat it as a newly setup aquarium with your used filters on it

Well duh! You'll cycle a tank in a few days will established media? How many other tanks you got man?

I have just the two used to be three but I shattered my 10g

Yeah if you have established filters than no need to worry. Just put them on the tank. Sk3lly is absolutely right.

As far as the leeching goes, the BB will grow to accomodate that and shrink in population as the leeching slows. Once they have the capacity to handle it you can add fish; the BB will fix their population numbers when it gets too high/low.

Sounds good! I did end up just using that whole bottle of bb, no clue how much it will help, just don't have too much use for it now that my canister on my mbuna tank is cycled and I'm done adding fish to it. Hoping it will help speed up the process.

Back
Top Bottom