Questions about ADA AquaSoil Amazonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was also thinking about getting a new substrate I've heard amazonia leaches (nitrate?) and I was considering using this, would it be safe to put my fish back in immediately or would there be down time?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ADA AS leaches ammonia for weeks to a month, YMMV. You'd have to house the fish elsewhere until it stops. Lots of partial water changes, every other day (~50%), until the BB can catch up and stabilize the parameters.

CO2 Regulators from GLA

So even established filters would struggle keeping up?

Edit: I have two bio wheel filters on my 25g. A penguin 150 and 100.

Yeah it would. It leaches a crazy amount at first. You can stress out your fish and even kill them. But if you have established filters, especially two, just put your inhabitants in a bucket with tank water, an airstone, and heater for a couple of days. Do huge partial water changes and test for the big 3 (ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites) and wait until everything balances out until your return the fauna to the tank.

Sounds good, If I saved the water from the aquarium would that help I have enough jugs for probably 80% if not more.

I don't think it's so much as the established water that makes the balancing faster, it's more or less the AquaSoil + BB. However, I'd still add back at least 30 to 50% of the established water after the substrate swap.

The AS is just loaded with nutrients and when it gets in contact with water, it just wants to let out a lot. So you just have to let it run its course and reduce its impact by PWC's. Plus, the BB needs to re-establish on the substrate. I believe mulm could help though. So if you're removing some old substrate, leave some of that mulm on the bottom. Also the plants are coated with BB, so when your replant them, you're 'seeding' BB in the tank.

Do you have an API Freshwater Master Test Kit? This is the sure-fire way to know when everything is all said and done -- and safe to return the fish to the tank.

I have test strips right now I will probably pick one up while I'm out purchasing the substrate.

Well I have exceeded my quota on pictures it says but it's the api 5in1 ph,NO2,NO3,KH,GH

The test strips have been known to not be as reliable and not as accurate as the liquid kits. I recommend getting the API Master Test Kit when you can get it.

Think 9 liters would be sufficient for a 24"x12" aquarium?

Sounds like the same dimensions as my 60P. I had to use 1.5 bags of the 9L. I used the regular grain size of the first layer (middle to back). Then I used the 'powder type' for the front of the tank (bottom to top) and layered the back with it. The 'powder type' is more expensive but the small granules look much better IMO. It's also much easier to plant in -- especially the small delicate carpeting plants.

The amount of AS can vary depending on how you scape the tank. I created substantial slopes in the back left and right of my tank. So I used a good amount. However, you can save yourself on using more substrate by creating slopes using layered eggcrate (light diffusion panels) or by putting some inexpensive gravel in media bags, then just pile on the substrate over that.

If you decide to use slopes for more dimension in your scape, to prevent them from flattening out, you can use 'substrate supports.' This was inspired by James Findley of the Green Machine (if you ever watched his YouTube videos). I use those polypropylene placemats that you can buy at Target or Wally-world. Just cut to size and stick them in the substrate.

Last edited:
Yeah! Love his scapes! His hardscape in Arizona inspired my cichlid aquariums most recent hardscape.

I went ahead and got 9 liters of the regular soil and 3 liters of the powder and it turned out perfect! I also just checked the ammonia after only a couple hours and good lord it leaches ammonia like no ones business! I guess the amount didn't fully click, I kind of thought my bio wheel and plants and a bit of the old substrate would have done more. I'd say it's probably 8ppm already. Is the best solution to do water changes or just let it run it's course?

Good choice on getting the powder type too. When I first setup a tank with AS, I know how high the ammonia is going to be, it's a given and don't even bother testing until a week or two later. But yeah, 50% PWC's every other day. It's a lot of work at first but worth it because the substrate is like magical stuff to optimal plant growth.

I'm not so sure how well my fish are going to do in a 20g plastic container for 2 weeks :/.

I just read that adding nitrifying bacteria can help speed up the process and it just so happens I have a little over half a container is it worth a try?

What bb in the bottle product do you have?

I'd wait a bit, maybe after at least two 50% pwc's.

Tropical science is the brand and nitromax freshwater is the product. Do you think if I added the recommended dosage too quick the bacteria wouldn't have a chance to establish itself in the soil?

I'm unfamiliar with that product. I haven't kept myself updated on that stuff. I just know tetra safestart and Dr. Tim's one and only work due to the right bb strains they contain.

I just suggested to wait because you'll want to do the larger water changes at first and more frequently. After a bit, then you can slow down. That's when I'd add it. But go with your gut. If you want to add it now, by all means don't let me stop you. This hobby is sometimes about trial & error and crossing into uncharted territory. Maybe some research will help shed some light?

Subscribed. This is a useful thread for when i do my new build. Will have a similar problem housing fish in buckets except i have no free space to do it. Should be fun lol

Back
Top Bottom