Questions about new java ferns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larochem595

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there,

I've never had a planted aquarium before but wanted to give it a try.
I purchased some java ferns today. The package I got had the root ball/rhizome with thread wound around it...it actually appeared to be a couple of root balls that had been tied together. Do I take the thread off or leave it?
Also, will java ferns do okay on gravel?

Any help would be great!
Thanks!
Michelle

Hello. It's normal, some of the farms use rubber bands or string to tie together small rhizomes to make a larger plant. You can separate them or leave them as-is. They'll be fine either way, and gravel is OK too just don't bury the rhizomes.

Hi jetajockey,

Thanks for the reply!

What would be the best way to keep them from moving around if I don't bury them?

Thanks again,
Michelle

I've been doing some reading on java ferns.
Apparently the best option is to use some thread or fishing line to fasten the java ferns to a rock or piece of driftwood. I can't use driftwood because I'm afraid of it softening the water. I attempted to fasten it to a rock but when I placed it in the water, the plant kept loosening up and wanting to flow upward. Forget that. =/
I also read that it is okay to put in the gravel but you're supposed to leave the top third of the roots sticking out of the gravel to prevent it from rotting.

Let me know if you have thoughts on this or advice.
Just thought I'd share...
Take care,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom