Questions about plants please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have several twist bamboo, argentine sword and couple of kyotos plants. I am noticing a little yellow leafs is this lack of what? I have eco-complete for substrate

kaz said:
I have several twist bamboo,
bamboo, should not be kept submerged :?
couple of kyotos plants.
i have no idea what this is, do you have a picture? is it an aquatic plant?
I am noticing a little yellow leafs is this lack of what? I have eco-complete for substrate
to fully answer you question we need more information...

size of tank
amount of light (watts per gallon)
what kind of light? florecent, incandecent...
ammonia level?
nitrite level?
nitrate level?
PH?
KH?
GH?
Phoshave level?
do you run co2?
how long has the tank been set up?
what ferts do you dose? how much and how often?

"yellow leaves" could be a couple of things, need you to asnwer the questions... so we have an idea of wha we are dealing with :D

JDogg said:
kaz said:
I have several twist bamboo,
bamboo, should not be kept submerged :?
couple of kyotos plants.
i have no idea what this is, do you have a picture? is it an aquatic plant?
I am noticing a little yellow leafs is this lack of what? I have eco-complete for substrate
to fully answer you question we need more information...

size of tank 75g
amount of light (watts per gallon) no lights
ammonia level? 0ppm
nitrite level? 0ppm
nitrate level? 20 ppm
PH? 7.5
KH? unknown
GH?unkown
Phoshave level? unknown
do you run co2? none
how long has the tank been set up? 6 months
none

"yellow leaves" could be a couple of things, need you to asnwer the questions... so we have an idea of wha we are dealing with :D

the kymoto looks like grass
and why you cant have the bamboos submerg they have been like that for more than a year.

Do you have pictures of these plants? Please answer the rest of JDoggs questions. We need the info in order to help you out.

kaz said:
size of tank 75g
amount of light (watts per gallon) no lights
ammonia level? 0ppm
nitrite level? 0ppm
nitrate level? 20 ppm
PH? 7.5
KH? unknown
GH?unkown
Phoshave level? unknown
do you run co2? none
none
no lights? how can you grow plants without lights? don't you even have a light to see your fish? plants need light to grow, biology 101... :?
the amount of light is important you probably are deficient in some nutrients, but hard to tell if no light 8O
how often do you do PWC?
also if you are serious about plants then i would recomend picking up KH< GH and Phosphates tests

is you bamboo underwater? bamboo like wet conditions but it is not an aquatic plant... :roll: if it is lucky bamboo it is not even realy bamboo, but a species of Dracaena from west africa...

My nearby Petco sells Mondo grass (Ophiopogon japonica) as Kyoto. If so, that plant is also not true aquatic, and won't last in a tank. But as mentioned, no light is also a problem.

I have a normal house or commercial florescent fixture and I was thinking if this can serve as my tank lights if I buy just 2 48length aquarium lights would this work?

http://www.gifts-that-grow.com/plants/lucky.php
pictures of the type of bamboo i have in the tanks

http://www.ewaterplant.com/plant/o1.htm
picture of what seems to be the plants I have as kyoto

I have florecent light and a reg light bulb hanging over or around the aquarium havent picked up the equipment package specificely for the tank. I do 1 pwc per week every saturday anywhere from 20 to 40% change. I unload prime and stress coat.

btw I keep losing from 1 to 2 fish per week too dont know why, I have the xp3 and at night i run a air wand.

kaz said:
I have a normal house or commercial florescent fixture and I was thinking if this can serve as my tank lights if I buy just 2 48length aquarium lights would this work?
you still have a light on your tank then just not an "aquarium light, that is fine i use shop lights :D ok you are going to have to give me more info, you might have to do some research to do it, look at the bulb how many watts is it? and how long is it?
http://www.gifts-that-grow.com/plants/lucky.php
pictures of the type of bamboo i have in the tanks
have you read that page, it says right on it that lucky bamboo should only be kept in a few inches of water.
http://www.ewaterplant.com/plant/o1.htm
picture of what seems to be the plants I have as kyoto
well if that is what you have it is not an aquatic plant, it will just die, rot and pollute your tank :?
I have florecent light and a reg light bulb hanging over or around the aquarium havent picked up the equipment package specificely for the tank. I do 1 pwc per week every saturday anywhere from 20 to 40% change. I unload prime and stress coat.
if the "regular light" is an incandecent bulb, it is useless realy to your plants.
also, start making the pwc a min of 50% would be good
btw I keep losing from 1 to 2 fish per week too dont know why, I have the xp3 and at night i run a air wand.
ok, well first off, how accurate is your test kit? is it a dip strip of a dropper style test?
if a dip strip it is not very good. you need to use a dropper style test, like the AP freshwater Master kit or similar

you still have not answered all the test i asked for, if you want results then you are going to have to pick up the tests and give those results

KH? unknown
GH?unkown
Phoshate level? unknown

anyways i can make a couple guesses to your problem...
the sword plant is the only one that should be in the tank, if it's leave are yellowing then it is either potassium or iron defiencency, also even with eco-compleat, the sword is going to need root tabs, i personally like the flourish root tabs

the bamboo and the kyoto should not be in the tank, they are just going to die, more so the kyoto. take them out. di you get them at petco or petsmart? they sell lots of "aquarium plants" that are not aquatic plants, a shame, but many people fall into the trap!

as to the fish dieing...if you are using dip strips then i question you ammonia, nitrite and nitrate numbers. rotting plant material could be causing ammonia spike and killing fish... just an idea..

anyways all is not lost your are in the right place to get help :D

ok

1 the light is forescent and its a 48'' long with just a white 400w

2 the bamboos have been in the tank for more than a year, in fact I tried taking it out once cause I didnt want it anymore and they started dieing so I put them back and alive they came again.

3 kyoto I have no idea they sold it as an aquarium plant.

4 my test kit are droppers and I will be getting what you recommend just not this week cause of budget. I do know that my tap water is a bit hard cause I notice a bit of calcium deposits on glass covers rim etc.

I think the "Lucky bamboo" is more of a marginal plant. That means it is happy when the roots are underwater, and the top is in the air. Many marginal plants will survive quite a long time fully submerged (it is how they cope with the flood/monsoon season in the wild). they may not grow much, but may not die either.

kaz said:
ok

1 the light is forescent and its a 48'' long with just a white 400w
i have never seen a 400 watt bulb :? is it a metal halide? not sure how that is for plants, i think is is better for corals 8O not sure how that figures into the WPG calculations, but i think it is a crap load of light!
if this is right, then your plants should be running through nutrients like crazy...
2 the bamboos have been in the tank for more than a year, in fact I tried taking it out once cause I didnt want it anymore and they started dieing so I put them back and alive they came again.
what the heck, if you like it and it is not rotting then keep it :D
3 kyoto I have no idea they sold it as an aquarium plant.
some places do that, don't feel bad, but i would take it out...
4 my test kit are droppers and I will be getting what you recommend just not this week cause of budget. I do know that my tap water is a bit hard cause I notice a bit of calcium deposits on glass covers rim etc.
ok
well if it was me, i would at least take out the kyoto thing. if you want suggestions of better, real aquatic plants we can do that, if you check out the barter and trade section, someone might even be able to hook you up with some clippings :D

if you do decide to go with more plants, you need to look into that light, and probably start dosing ferts and CO2, that is allot of light :lol:

[quote="kaz]
2 the bamboos have been in the tank for more than a year[/quote]

I'm quite confused - how long has the bamboo been in this tank ? where was it before this tank ?

I use to have them in my 20g and upgraded around six months ago now they are in the 75g

Seems like your bamboo plants don't mind being submerged - just keep watching them. Just goes to show, every tank is different.

so can i buy any florescent lights that are good for plants and are 48'' long? this will work on any household or commercial florescent fixture?

kaz said:
so can i buy any florescent lights that are good for plants and are 48'' long? this will work on any household or commercial florescent fixture?

sure, do you know if you have a T-12 or T-8 fixture?

It is actaully a T12 48'long fixture takes two florescents, btw what are the best light and kelvins?

just run up to home depot and grab an aquatic/plant T-12 bulb. anything between 5000 and 20000K should be fine for growing plants.

some people like 6700K, some 10000K, some even 18000K.

there is more to a bulb then the K rating. You have the K tempurature and then there is the spectrum in nm. The K tempurature is the visable light that YOU see and you also have the spectrum that is measumered in nm which is used by the plants (well parts of it). all the big dollar bulbs have the spectrum printed on the side. (I am not a light heavy guy. Maybe someone can correct me one this one)

to make a long story short. I don't really think there is a 'best' bulb. just get one that is for plant use. doesn't matter if it costs 50 bucks or 5 bucks.

ok i went to home depot bought a fixture and the only lights I saw that were readable with informations are the following, I bought one of each.
BOTH LIGHTS ARE PHILIPS

48''L
T 40W T12
LIGHT OUTPUT ( NOT SURE IF THIS IS MEASURED BY FC'S) 2200
COLOR RENDERING 92
TEMPERATURE 5000K

48''L
T 40W T12
LIGHT OUTPUT 1600
TEMPERATURE 2700K
on the light it states:
this plant light has a unique spectral range and color that is designed to enhance the growth of indoor plants and aquatic gegetation. the color of the lamp also enhances the appearance of aquarium fish and decorations.

I placed the plant light 2700k towards the back of the aquarium where my plants are more located and the 5000k light in the front. should i return any or this is just fine for the time being?

kaz said:
ok i went to home depot bought a fixture and the only lights I saw that were readable with informations are the following, I bought one of each.
BOTH LIGHTS ARE PHILIPS

48''L
T 40W T12
LIGHT OUTPUT ( NOT SURE IF THIS IS MEASURED BY FC'S) 2200
COLOR RENDERING 92
TEMPERATURE 5000K

48''L
T 40W T12
LIGHT OUTPUT 1600
TEMPERATURE 2700K
on the light it states:
this plant light has a unique spectral range and color that is designed to enhance the growth of indoor plants and aquatic gegetation. the color of the lamp also enhances the appearance of aquarium fish and decorations.

I placed the plant light 2700k towards the back of the aquarium where my plants are more located and the 5000k light in the front. should i return any or this is just fine for the time being?

I think that solves that 400W question- It should have been 40Watt. You have two 40 watt bulbs, which puts you at 80 watts over 75 gallons. You can grow plants at this level, but your selection will be somewhat limited and most people will advise upgrading your lights. I have a 45 gallon with similiar light levels, and keep Java Moss, Java Fern, and asian ambulia in there. I have also had success with anacharis. I kept my temple plants in there for a bit to let my loaches eat any snail eggs, and the temples did not do well, but did grow some. I cannot grow Anubias in this tank. (Anubias also doesn't grow very well in my other tanks, so that may not be a light problem.)

I've never kept swords, but I understand they require a bit more light then you have. It may be possible that a lack of light is one of the causes of the yellow leaves, at least on the swords. For a tank your size, many people will recommend 150 watts without Co2 injection, and up to perhaps 300 watts with Co2. You can do it with less- I do on one tank. Lonewolfblue does as well, I beleive, and his tanks even look good!

As to the bulbs you puchased- That 1st bulb is what most would consider a great plant bulb. The 2nd bulb is interesting. Many people recommend a color temperature between 5,000 and 10,000. This has 2,700. BUT- We just use color color temperture to appoximate the Specteral Range. If that bulb really does have a specteral range suited to plants, it's fine.

An incandescent bulb, no matter if it's for your aquarium or your house, is really just an very inefficent heater that also happens to throw off some light.

Take any and all of my advice with a grain of salt, lots of other people on this board know more then I do. Just be carefull and don't spill that salt in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom