Questions for a 10gal Planted Tank with red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandyCheeks

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the process of setting up a 10 gal as my first planted aquarium and am overwhelmed reading all the info online. I have 10 red cherry shrimp ready to go in their new home, the little females are either sadled or berried. So far I have added Eco-complete as substrate, a heater, 2 sponge filters, and a temporary hang-in tank filter to clean the water along with a sponge seeded from my other tank, and a couple of ferns and some Scarlet Temple which is actually doing ok with no added light.

Water
I have access to 3 different types of water. Which would be best for a shrimp planted tank ?
regular city water from the outside hose, ph 8.2
Inside water from a water softener, ph 7.6 (this is what it is filled with now)
RO water, ph 7.6

Lighting
Tank Size is 20" long x 12" high
I was thinking of getting a Finnex Ray Planted+

Or instead getting a full spectrum CFL 15w bulb and an alluminiu clamp-on fixture which is cheaper. What would be the disadvantages?

CO2
Is it ok to add CO2 to a tank with shrimp? Some things I read online said something about this killing the shrimp, is that true?

If I use low to med lighting, do I even need CO2?

Making a DIY probably won't work for me, I know myself and I worry I would mess it up and the plastic bottle with yeast would explode.

I have a paintball tank, so would this regulator work with it and what else would I need?
http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-OF-CA...id=139q8992231&sr=8-4&keywords=co2+regulator+

What is a bubble counter?
What is the difference between an atomizer and a diffuser? Do I need both?

Plants
Wow, so many choices. I plan to do some aquascaping and add some driftwood and rocks. I was thinking of using just low to med light plants, like java moss, dwarf hair grass, bacopa.

Any suggestions for med light shrimp friendly plants?

Filter
Will the 2 sponge filters be enough or do I need more?

Thanks!

FYI dwarf hair grass is a very demanding plant that needs highlighting and CO2, it's not for beginners

the ro water should be the best.

Thanks for your help.

My concern using RO is having to add back any minerals removed (calcium, magnesium, iron, etc) and that the low GH would cause Ph crashes, or do the plants maintain this themselves?

I've had aquariums for years with fish and some plants like swords and such, but this is my first Planted tank and I want to test my green underwater thumb and learn how to aquascape. :)

Thanks for your help.

My concern using RO is having to add back any minerals removed (calcium, magnesium, iron, etc) and that the low GH would cause Ph crashes, or do the plants maintain this themselves?

I've had aquariums for years with fish and some plants like swords and such, but this is my first Planted tank and I want to test my green underwater thumb and learn how to aquascape. :)

How about RODI water? Ok just be prepared for he lights and C02

Use Inside water. Straight RO water is too pure. You can mix tap/RO water to lower TDS if needed.

You may not need a heater. I don't heat my RCS. My room doesn't get too cold in the winter.

You could try some Dwarf Chain Swords or Dwarf Sag.

I do the jungle look in my tanks.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use Inside water. Straight RO water is too pure. You can mix tap/RO water to lower TDS if needed.

You may not need a heater. I don't heat my RCS. My room doesn't get too cold in the winter.

You could try some Dwarf Chain Swords or Dwarf Sag.

I do the jungle look in my tanks.

That's a good idea, mix the RO and tap to bring the ph down on the tap but still get the minerals.

That's the look I like, natura jjungle, and I don't want to put a lot of money into it until I know what will grow and until I have a grasp on what I the heck i am doing.

What lighting do you suggest for a 10 gal? Would just a 15w full spectrum CFL work?

Do you use CO2?

Where do you buy your plants?

That's a good idea, mix the RO and tap to bring the ph down on the tap but still get the minerals.

That's the look I like, natura jjungle, and I don't want to put a lot of money into it until I know what will grow and until I have a grasp on what I the heck i am doing.

What lighting do you suggest for a 10 gal? Would just a 15w full spectrum CFL work?

Do you use CO2?

Where do you buy your plants?

My specs are in my profile.
But my main 10g specs:

Substrate: Black Sand
Lights: stock screw in incandescent hood...swapped out bulbs for two 10watt mini CFLs u shaped ZooMed UltraSun 6,500K

Filtration: Aqueon 20? HOB

Flora: varies mostly Crypts, mosses, easy stems, Bacopa monnieri , Ludwigia repens, various Anubias.

Fauna: lightly stocked right now. RCS and CRS Shrimp and a few fish.

PWCs weekly
API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish comprehensive after PWC.

Root Caps every 4mo or if I see an issue.

When I was running it heavily stocked ( old vid )
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Oh and my plants were mostly free from my Club or I buy from other hobbyists on TPT. I've bought 2 or 3 plants b4 I joined my Club.

Tina
Member of
San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

and Northern California Whippet Fanciers Association

Coursair Whippets for over 20yrs

Back
Top Bottom