Questions on anacharis and wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
My newbie-ness is going to show here !

1. The leaves on the lower 50% of my anacharis are browning and disintegrating. The tops are growing. Will new leaves / stems grow from where the leaves were lost on the bottom or should I cut the tops off and toss the bottoms ?

2. Does wisteria ever branch ? The tops look great, the bottom 2/3rds have a series of larger leaves. If it does branch, how do I get it to do that ? If it doesn't, same question as for the anacharis.

TIA

More light perhaps? It's fairly difficult to kill anacharis (unless you are really trying). You can check the bottoms/roots to make sure they aren't black/dead. Otherwise, assuming it has established roots, I wouldn't cut and replant. My wisteria branched out and got really, really bushy in my tank. It was more than 24inches tall, and probably 12inches wide (per plant). I have alot of light on my tank though, 390wt on 125gal.

Make sure that the tank with the anacharis has plenty of minerals in the water....anacharis will suck them out in no time, and start to die when the mineral content is lacking.

Ah, thanks for the hints. I'll use some Flourish Comprehensive in the tank (unless you think I shouldn't). I do think I need to change my lights - its a 10G with the standard hood - I think WalMart is supposed to have the bulbs I need , but I've yet to find them here. I'm using 2 x 13W spiral type compact florescents .... I can't find the K rating on the box. Do you think that's the problem ?

Could be the lights, if they are lower spectrum it could cause it. Also, I think you can go a little higher with the Screw in CF, 15 watts each and the Wisteria would really grow. I think Lonewolfblue has a tank with no CO2, a 10 gallon that he has two 20 watt screw ins over and he hasn't much problems with algae from it. Even at 40 watts I would say they only bring you up to 2.5 w/g of effective lighting, that's how it looked when I tried it anyway.

The best way I have found to make Wisteria grow wide it to keep the tops cut short. Mine was 10 inches across and had a root mass that rivaled a small jungle.

As for anacharis, lights could be the problem as I noticed it shades itself really bad. I just trimmed the tops and it grew out in thick bushes but was a pain to trim once it did. You may even have to dose some macros with anacharis if you have a lot, especially with the Wisteria in there. Definately some potassium and possibly some nitrates but not very much, just start really small doses until you see the plants come around and grow steady. Give the doses a week before uping them again to give the plants a chance to react and start growing. If you see anyother deficiencies then do the same with PO4 and possibly some Mg and Calcium. It won't take a lot but the plants should appreciate it.

Give it a try with your current lights and see, would be good information if it seems to work.

Makes alot of sense fish_4_all, thanks. I'll get the stronger lights in a day or two. I dosed Flourish Comprehensive today (and just did a water change). I think you're right about the nitrates also, so I'll dose a very little of that until I get it up to 20ppm (goodness knows I don't need the BGA back in the tank ! I broke it down to get rid of it).

I forgot what common chemical has pottassium (is it Fleet enima ?).

The tank is a jungle as its being used for DPs (cute little buggers) - here's a pic
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/...Ptank12Oct06003.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Fleet Enema = Phosphate
No Salt = Potassium (KCl)
Stump Remover = Nitrates (KNO3)

Thanks Purrbox ! I'm bookmarking this one - I can never keep the phosphate and potassium straight.

Back
Top Bottom