Questions on current set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
FLourish excell i read somewhere that it kills some plants? I have searched but i cant find the thread. So what plants does it tend to kill?

second, my current tank lid/top is the original "hood" that came with the cheapy single flourescent bulb. I upgraded my lighting to 130w coral life PC lights with 10000K bulbs. It doesnt seem like enough light is getting through. where can i buy an all glass top or acrylic that will let light get through better. and still lets me feed the fish?

I have a 55 gallon split top tank so it requires two 24" tops like i said right now i have two of the plastic hinged kinds with glass inserts.

last question on ferts... My LFS sells a product called thrive. They say they use it with wonderful results in their planted tanks? Which BTW look fantastic. its a natural "pet and child" safe fertilizer he says i could ingest it if i wanted but that it tastes like moldy bread LOL. here are the ingredients

Ingredients: Derived from Ammonium Hydroxide, Elemental Sulfur, Rock Phosphate, Molasses, and/or Cheese Whey, Plus assorted plant extracts reacted and fermented to form a true colloidal fertilizer.

*This product easily complies with all the regulations regarding heavy metals. Information regarding the contents are available on the web at We have moved!

Anacharis and Vals have both been confirmed to be sensitive to Flourish Excel. There are also reports that Riccia is sensitive to it as well, especially when overdosed.

You should be able to special order a glass canopy through your LFS. You could also order one from DrsFosterSmith.com or ThatPetPlace.com. Another alternative is to order the backstrip, hinge, and handle and have the glass cut locally. This will allow you to have the hinge positioned exactly where you want it.

I personally don't run a "hood" on my planted. Its open top with the light mounted above it..
However if you check our glasscages.com or dr foster and smith.com they sell all glass hoods

My LFS sells a product called thrive. Ingredients: Derived from Ammonium Hydroxide, Elemental Sulfur, Rock Phosphate, Molasses, and/or Cheese Whey, Plus assorted plant extracts reacted and fermented to form a true colloidal fertilizer.

Does it have a guarenteed analysis? Does it provide formulas so that you can determine how much to dose? Without these it will be very hard to compare to other fertilizers.

oh and I have heard that excel will "melt" plants like crypts.

Crypts are perfectly fine with Flourish Excel. They just like to melt at the drop of a hat when water conditions change.

Gauranteed analysis
4-1-0

n 4%
phosphate 1%
and sulfur 3%

???

Based on that it's meant to be a macro fert. Any information on how much you need to dose to acheive specific ppm levels of Nitrate and Phosphate?

the only instructions they give are 1tbsp to 1 gallon of water... but that doesnt tell you what PPM you achieve...

I really wouldn't recommend that fertilizer. You have no way to determine how much you're dosing and it's a fixed ratio of Nitrate to Phosphate. These two things will make it much harder to adjust your dosing if you find that the recommended dose isn't working for you.

Back
Top Bottom