Questions on planted tank with sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crypts and Swords are heavy root feeders so need to have ferts in the substrate to draw their nutrients from.

Ok see but if I add them after the aquarium has been up for a while would they be fine with just the fish waste

ok well thank you so much everyone for all of your help. If I get this tank set up I will be sure to share some pics!

So far I have around $25 I would say in my lights; I have an open top tank. My cfl's came in a 3 pack for $7, each of my clip on lamps are about $8. I know I'll eventually need a third lamp once I get more plants, but for now two are just enough. Everything I've gotten has all come from Walmart.

I really like this idea. I have a 5.5 gallon that I plan to convert into my first fully planted tank. I was planning to pick up two light bases and a pk of the cfls you mentioned. Planning to use both floramax and pfs, planting only in the floramax. Bacopa, java fern, java or christmas moss, moss balls, lava rock, manzanita wood (set like trees and covered with moss) and either dwarf hairgrass or dwarf sword for ground cover. Would 2 of these lights on a 5.5 suffice? Its a short tank, so I also dont want to "overdo" it and melt the java. :banghead:

Last edited:
So far I have around $25 I would say in my lights; I have an open top tank. My cfl's came in a 3 pack for $7, each of my clip on lamps are about $8. I know I'll eventually need a third lamp once I get more plants, but for now two are just enough. Everything I've gotten has all come from Walmart.

Can you share a pic of your setup? I would really love to duplicate (y)
Right now I am using the tank to house my grumpy DG because he has been picking on his tank mates. I just have a desktop led lamp over the tank, which seems to suffice, but there are no plants in there. Lol

I really like this idea. I have a 5.5 gallon that I plan to convert into my first fully planted tank. I was planning to pick up two light bases and a pk of the cfls you mentioned. Planning to use both floramax and pfs, planting only in the floramax. Bacopa, java fern, java or christmas moss, moss balls, lava rock, manzanita wood (set like trees and covered with moss) and either dwarf hairgrass or dwarf sword for ground cover. Would 2 of these lights on a 5.5 suffice? Its a short tank, so I also dont want to "overdo" it and melt the java. :banghead:

Since yours is only a 5.5g I think one clip on lamp would be more than enough. Someone may need to correct me on this... But you could probably even do high light plants.

Since yours is only a 5.5g I think one clip on lamp would be more than enough. Someone may need to correct me on this... But you could probably even do high light plants.

Only can do High Light if you plan on using CO2.
Otherwise you just grow algae.

Best thing to get as well, a cheap timer. Only light a new tank for 6-8 hours a day.

Best thing to get as well, a cheap timer. Only light a new tank for 6-8 hours a day.

Does using liquid co2 count?

I think so. Rivercats uses a liquid carbon supplement exclusively, no co2 at all. She even gives her plants a burst of metal halide light everyday.

You may get away with it in a small tank, but I'm not a high Tech person. All my tanks are low light/ low tech. I'm a fan of Crypts.

I'm not either. I was just wondering. I have crypt parva and amazon sword in my 55g, waiting on crypt balansae to come in.

You can also use liquid carbon such as Excel instead of CO2 in a high light tank with very good results.

I think so. Rivercats uses a liquid carbon supplement exclusively, no co2 at all. She even gives her plants a burst of metal halide light everyday.

I have T5HO's that run 10 hours as they are low light in my 30" deep 220g tank but then I run my metal halides 6 hours as they are my main plant growing lighting.

I don't use CO2, never have, only use liquid carbon and have a very sucessful high light tank with alot of non-green plants.

Back
Top Bottom