Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Questions, Questions Questions.

Well, im redoing my planted tank because the algae killed most of my plants. Its a 24 gallon with 28w of light. But i think its really around 2 w per gallon becasue its cf (well t5 but same output) and has a highly polished reflector. Am I right? So, im going to get a DIY CO2 system set up pretty soon, so im replanting. Right now i only have ludwiga repens that is getting suffucated by algae, but is definately alive. So, what i need is some reccomendations on foreground middle and background that are hard to kill and dont need elaborate fetilization. Also, what other fertilizers would i need to keep my plants healthy?

TIA,
Alex

fishygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Grab some blue stricta(Nomaphilia Siamansis / Nomaphilia Stricta). It is the hardiest plant I have found and grows like a weed. I always use this plant in any new setup because it easily outcompetes algae, after the tank settles in I slowly replace it. It does well under anything upward of 1.5 wpg, so your t5 should do well with it. As long as you are using some fertiliser it will be fine and you won't have to worry about trace elements e.t.c

It is also very easy to replant. You just cut of the branches and stick em in the gravel and off they go!

Old 06-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting is 1.5 w/g. Algae could be a problem with direct sunlight because the lighting doesn't sound like it should be causing that high of algae. Also, it sounds like your nutrients could be way out of kilter and you really need to test them. KH, GH, NO2, NO3, PO4. As for fetilizers, you will need some NO3 and PO4 and a good trace. I recommend Greg Watsons fertilizers because of the price. CO2 in any form will help but if you go with CO2 then you really need the test kits even more because your nitrients will be used up much faster.

As for plants, Anacharis, stricta would be cool although I have never had it, some smaller crypts, I have Red Wendtii and it is really nice.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget about Potassium. This macro often needs to be dosed even in lower light aquariums.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to cbk.o4 Send a message via MSN to cbk.o4 Send a message via Yahoo to cbk.o4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
Don't forget about Potassium. This macro often needs to be dosed even in lower light aquariums.
QFT...

i found that out the hard way.

..::Tank Inhabitants::..
6 Tiger Barbs
1 Powder Blue Gourami
1 Dwarf Flame Gourami
1 African Clawed Frog
2 Bristlenose Plecos
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Boesemani Rainbow
?? Malaysian Trumpet Snails
cbk.o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I can't belive I forgot it. It is actuall one of two macro I dose right now with a little Mg, and I mean a little.

Just don't let it scare you, it really isn't that complicated and you will be very happy when your plants respond to the special care and thrive.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, about those greg watson ferts, which ones would i need to get started?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

KNO3, K2SO4, Epson Salts is the same as the MgSO4 and Fleet will cover your phosphates, CSM+B covers your micros and if you have broad leafs or want them, possibly Iron Chelate and Calcium Sulfate. Sounds like a lot but once we help you figure out the dosing and solutions it will be really easy and shouldn't be a hastle. Or just order the KH2PO4 and MgSO4 so you know it is a pure source and you have it in the way we can easiest help you make up your dosing schedule. All comes out to about $35 for enough fertilizers for a long time.

Is better to order all of them to save shipping if you can and that way you have them just in case you test one day and notice something is way too low and need it before the plants suffer too much.

Someone else needs to chime in about the Calcium and Iron chelate but I would suggest getting them if you can afford to. I wish I did because I think my tank could use the iron right now.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok? What do those abrieviations stand for? and wahats KH2P04, I cant find it on the site.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

KNO3 = Potassium Nitrate
K2SO4 = Potassium Sulfate
KH2PO4 = Mono Potassium Phosphate
MgSO4 = Magnesium Sulfate

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com