Questions, Questions Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, im redoing my planted tank because the algae killed most of my plants. Its a 24 gallon with 28w of light. But i think its really around 2 w per gallon becasue its cf (well t5 but same output) and has a highly polished reflector. Am I right? So, im going to get a DIY CO2 system set up pretty soon, so im replanting. Right now i only have ludwiga repens that is getting suffucated by algae, but is definately alive. So, what i need is some reccomendations on foreground middle and background that are hard to kill and dont need elaborate fetilization. Also, what other fertilizers would i need to keep my plants healthy?

TIA,
Alex

Grab some blue stricta(Nomaphilia Siamansis / Nomaphilia Stricta). It is the hardiest plant I have found and grows like a weed. I always use this plant in any new setup because it easily outcompetes algae, after the tank settles in I slowly replace it. It does well under anything upward of 1.5 wpg, so your t5 should do well with it. As long as you are using some fertiliser it will be fine and you won't have to worry about trace elements e.t.c

It is also very easy to replant. You just cut of the branches and stick em in the gravel and off they go!

Lighting is 1.5 w/g. Algae could be a problem with direct sunlight because the lighting doesn't sound like it should be causing that high of algae. Also, it sounds like your nutrients could be way out of kilter and you really need to test them. KH, GH, NO2, NO3, PO4. As for fetilizers, you will need some NO3 and PO4 and a good trace. I recommend Greg Watsons fertilizers because of the price. CO2 in any form will help but if you go with CO2 then you really need the test kits even more because your nitrients will be used up much faster.

As for plants, Anacharis, stricta would be cool although I have never had it, some smaller crypts, I have Red Wendtii and it is really nice.

Don't forget about Potassium. This macro often needs to be dosed even in lower light aquariums.

Sorry, I can't belive I forgot it. It is actuall one of two macro I dose right now with a little Mg, and I mean a little.

Just don't let it scare you, it really isn't that complicated and you will be very happy when your plants respond to the special care and thrive.

KNO3, K2SO4, Epson Salts is the same as the MgSO4 and Fleet will cover your phosphates, CSM+B covers your micros and if you have broad leafs or want them, possibly Iron Chelate and Calcium Sulfate. Sounds like a lot but once we help you figure out the dosing and solutions it will be really easy and shouldn't be a hastle. Or just order the KH2PO4 and MgSO4 so you know it is a pure source and you have it in the way we can easiest help you make up your dosing schedule. All comes out to about $35 for enough fertilizers for a long time.

Is better to order all of them to save shipping if you can and that way you have them just in case you test one day and notice something is way too low and need it before the plants suffer too much.

Someone else needs to chime in about the Calcium and Iron chelate but I would suggest getting them if you can afford to. I wish I did because I think my tank could use the iron right now.

KNO3 = Potassium Nitrate
K2SO4 = Potassium Sulfate
KH2PO4 = Mono Potassium Phosphate
MgSO4 = Magnesium Sulfate

ok, so i would need pottassium Nitrate pottassium sulphate magneisium sulfate iron chelate and calsium sulfate. And whats fleet? I cant find it on the website. Also, is is better to purchase all the components seperatly or buy the pre mix?

Fleet Enema contains Phosphates and should be available at your local store... you don't need to purchase it if you're going to buy Mono Potassium Phosphate.

It's better to buy them separately as then you can adjust the dosing to your tank's specific needs.

Iron Chelate 10%
CSM+B Plantex 1 lb
Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb.
CalciumSulfate
Potassium Sulfate 1 lb.
Potassium Nitrate 1 lb.
MagnesiumSulfate

So i need those? And how long will those last me? Also, should i still set up the c02 system? or do i not need it with 1.5 wpg?

You might want to post your aquarium dimensions in inches so someone can do the lumens/sq in calculations (lighting sticky). WPG even after adjustment tends to break at such tank volume.

Better to test at least NO3 and PO4 first before ordering ferts: it is unlikely you need a full fert schedule with your light and regular water changes. It is unlikely that you *need* CO2, though it will help. Non-CO2 tanks tend to have slower uptake and growth rates (which is good if you want a low maintenence tank).

Back
Top Bottom