Quick diffusor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll start off by first say that I am using the yeast method on a 90 gallon!!! I know it sounds crazy, but I have seen some good signs that it is working since I switched to three 2-L bottles. I switch them out every three weeks changing one each week to attempt to maintain a constant supply. I have 2wpg and I use gw ferts. I know you guys will tell me that I should switch to a more sophisticated method. I know I should and it would save me money in the long-run. I just have to wait until after I graduate which will be in about a month. I'll also be adding more lighting in the process.

Anyways, back to the yeast method. I want to know if I need a reactor for my Co2. Currently, I am just feeding it to my Fluval 404 canister. Is that an efficient way to disperse the carbon dioxide?

Some say not to use a canister as there's a possibility of hydrolocking the pump with a CO2 bubble and Co2 will supposedly shorten impeller life. Personal experience says otherwise. I use canisters to diffuse CO2 on a 29, a 55, and a 75 with excelllent results.

Thats good. I figure that I'll have about two more months with the yeast method, then I'll get a Co2 tank and all that jazz.

I think it really depends on which type of cannister you have. My Eheim was fine but it was a bad idea on my XP3 as I almost burnt out the motor.

I was somewhat hesitant at first considering the inconsistent nature of the yeast method. Sometimes, I'll get a huge burst of bubbles going into my cannister. When that occurs, I don't think that the Co2 properly disperses into the water column because I see the tiny bubbles exiting the out flow tube within the tank. My main concern was if the cannister could handle a large amount of bubbles in sudden bursts, but it seems to be doing just fine for the past month.

I'll just be glad to get a complete automated Co2 system in two months.

yohann:
If you are going to pressurized CO2, you need to seriously upgrade your lights. As far as diffusion is concerned I have attached a Link to an in-line (return side) diffuser for a cannister filter. No CO2 in the filter, no worries.
This diffuser was designed by Gomer on Aquatic Plant Central. I built 2 of these for about $25CDN. They work well, no issues in 6 months!
Vic

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/attachment.php?attachmentid=471&d=1099597504

Yeah, I'm going to fully utilize my light strip that I have which can hit 260w. I think that will be enough for me for this particular tank. I don't think my discus will appreciate anymore lighting...lol. Thanks vic for that link. They look good, they're inexpensive, and from what I have read; they are efficient as well.

I use my Fluval cannisters as diffusers in all my tanks now, one 305 at 4 to 5 bubbles per second. It's been over a year and I've not had any problems. While this method does work well, I'm pretty sure an inline diffuser would probably be more efficient. The cannister does occasionally burp out a burst of C02 bubbles which is a waste. Its just to easy to use the cannisters and I'm to lazy to get and install an inline reactor!

Back
Top Bottom