Quick Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karackle

Aquarium Advice Freak
If this question is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it, it could kind of fit into a couple sections so I thought it would do best here...

anyway

I got a piece of driftwood for my tank today and I was wondering what the best way to attach a Java fern to it would be.

Thanks!

Cotton thread would work nicely. It will disintegrate after a while, and the fern should be attached by then.

Fishing line also works well. You will have to manually remove the fishing line after a month or two (when the fern attachs).

Thanks everyone for the advice, i was having trouble getting cotton thread to stay tight enough to keep the fern in place so i rubber banded it, but it's rather unsightly from the side (there's a nice crack in the wood in the front that it's hiding in) so I think i might have a go with thread again (or fishing line) and see what i can do!

Thanks again!

Using thread to attach your plants is the best method in my opinion, but it does take some practice to be able to get the right tention so that you secure the plant without damaging it. Sometimes an extra pair of hands can be helpful. I also find it helpful to use low quality thread. It seems to break down at the right pace and more consistently.

There are lots of methods that work, it's just a matter of finding the one that works for you without harming your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom