quick question: do we have CO2 pills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arrow1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
i went to a LFS today and i saw all the O2 pills hanging on the shelf, then i was thinking they might have CO2 pills, but i just cant find it.

i have plants in my tank, one is java fern, dont know the other one. and i saw some of u guys' pictures that showing all the pumping system for CO2 that plants need. if i am too lazy to set it up -____-, do u think CO2 pills will help? or is there such thing called CO2 pills?
btw what is O2 pill for?

cheer~

Quick answer - NO.

You need your CO2 to diffuse in slowly at a controlled rate. To my knowledge, this is not possible with any "pill".

You can however, try Seachem Excel, which is a liquid carbon source & a CO2 subsitute for the plants.

I've never seen any O2 pill before, but I would question its usefullness. This may be in the same league as the "super-oxygenated water for betta" that I seen for sale for $5 a liter at one lfs. Totally pointless waste of money .... any super-saturated gas will go out into the atmosphere as soon as you open the bottle, and fish do not need any more O2 than is normally present in the water ....

The only reason You might want extra O2 in a system is if you are transporting fish in a closed container (say mailing it or moving long distance). Normally you would add O2 from a gas cylinder, I can't see how you can add much O2 by a chemical reaction as in a pill.

There are "CO2 pills". I have never used them, but they remind me of alkaseltzer (sp?). To keep algae at bay it is important to keep CO2 levels constant and correct - which the "pills" won't do. Save your money for a nice system or do a DIY system.

There are a lot "easy" CO2 systems you can buy. I have not tried them, but every time the subject comes up everyone emphatically suggests pressurized, or DIY (or flourish excel).

HTH

ok understood
i will do that after i get a bigger tank, just wondering if this can be for temporarily

thank you for the answer, i need to know that :)

To use the CO2 Fizz Tabs (pills) you would have to constantly add them to keep things constantly fizzing..... so maybe 1 tab every 10 minutes x 12 hours (72 tabs per day)

At Big Al's they are $3.99 for 16. So that is like $17.95 per day. ouch.... DIY CO2 is cheap.

note: this message has been somewhat tongue in cheek. Please do not actually add a fizz tab every 10 minutes to any tank, as there are other effects to consider.

Back
Top Bottom