Quick question.... well actually two.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FUBAR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1) I have a 150 gallon tank, I don't want it heavily planted. Just some Java Moss, and maybe some Anubias (sp?)
The hood that came with it is currently holding six 14000k 25w florecents (sp again?). Is that enough lighting?

2) Would CO2 injection be required for this?

Oh, and the plants would actually be situated maybe... half-way up the tank in "planters". Meaning, not on the bottom. I'm planning on leaving that just sand. (don't know if that matters)

Yea, but the temp of the lights are wrong for planted. You want to look for something in the 5k - 10K range.

Yes you will need to get different bulbs. Try the GE brand you might find them at Walmart in the lighting section. That's where I got mine. Probably under $10/bulb. 14000K is just too high.

Also, the depth at which you plant anubias, java fern/moss, or any other plant will definitely make a difference. The higher up in the 150g tank, the stronger the light. Try planting the same plant at different levels and see which one does better :)

GL!

You will need to get a different Kelvin range (6500-10000K) and the light intensity (1wpg) should be fine for anubias and javamoss. Even if you put them up higher in the tank you still won't need any CO2. Just get some other bulbs and you are ready to go.

I would try it with the lights you have. While 5-10k is considered proper range it's only the color of the light. No one here can say whether your bulbs will provide enough PAR for your chosen plants. Most companys don't even publish full spectrums and while a 14k bulb will be weighted toward blue visible light it may provide plenty of non-visible red light for low light spp.

One more question.

For Java Moss... do I need something like Eco-Complete? Or would just sand be fine? And do they need to be fertilised? (ok, so I lied about the one question thing)

Java moss doesn't get planted. Attach it to an ornament with fishing line or similar. Many plants will do well in a sand substrate.

I would definitely do a sand substrate, no ferts needed. Try Pool filter sand, just got a 20# bag for $6! Yea, moss will grow anywhere you put it, or wherever it finds itself stuck!

Just dont bury the rhizome (black root bunch thing) as this is how the plant gets most of its nutrients from the water column.

most people will simply rubber band or tie the rhizome to a rock or piece of driftwood. eventually the plant will grab on for itself

Back
Top Bottom