Quick root question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok we'll I purchased a red tiger lotus a few months ago. It now has three leaves but no roots. So I have a few questions. Does the plant ever break off from the bulb or do the roots shoot out from the bottom of the bulb. I also have some root tabs should I place them under the bulb in hopes it will get the roots growing. Sorry if any of this seems dumb I'm new at planted tanks.

Are you sure there are no roots under the bulb? If you just purchased it the seller might have cut them off. Lay the bulb on the substrate where you want it to root and roots will develop and anchor it down. Bulb plants are root feeders and will benefit from having root tabs.

image-654068531.jpg

image-1979423229.jpg

image-2354026399.jpg

Here are pictures of the top of the plant the bottom and where it has been the last few months. I have left the bulb on top of the substrate sense I've had it. Do you think a root tap would help the roots develop.

I have always just left the bulbs sit on the surface and they have always rooted. If you want you can slightly bury the bulb, no more than 1/2 of the bulb, add your root tab, and wait. If that is all the growth you've gotten on it in months then roots could be very slow to develop.

If it's a bulb plant you really want that bulb under in the substrate because that's how the plant gets it's nutrients

Bulbs can rot when totally buried in substrate. The roots draw in the nutrients and the bulb stores them. I've never buried a tiger lotus bulb, which is what this is, in the 30+ years I've been in the hobby.

Ok so just slightly bury the bulb and then place the root tap and check up on it later.

An it's been growing faster now I've got a new leaf ever week and a half. But no roots but it pretty much stayed dormant for about two months. Until now. And now the leaves have stopped growing on The main stem but now there is a new stem growing and started about 5 days ago. But just no roots yet.

It's not uncommon when coming out of dormancy for leaves to sprout first. But the roots should be coming in soon and they will go right down into the substrate and anchor the bulb down. Just leave it be as you don't want to be pulling it up to check for roots and disturbing them if they are already establishing. As long as the leaves are growing don't worry about the roots, they will come.

Oh how interesting, I've always buried them....so now I've learned something new :) I always thoguht they acted as rooted plants :) Thank you for adding a kernal of knowledge

It's also not uncommon as the plant grows and gets older for little plants and sometimes bulbs to form off the sides of the main bulb. These can be popped off and planted in other places or tanks.

Nice! Good to know yea I haven't done a bulb plant in forever....maybe thats why they hated me LOL

Back
Top Bottom