RadMax8's Serious Rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Want some sp. Red??

When you are ready for a trim, I'd absolutely take some off your hands. PM me when you're ready and we can discuss terms and conditions... ?

Max - take the Ludiwigia red! You will love it. Also, I had those fake rocks in my tank as well.

Pretty sure they're a right of passage for a lot of aquarists. They were the only natural looking thing my Big Box pet store had!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

My Ludwigia never quite took off, but that was when I had no CO2 and awkward dosing of ferts. My tank was in incomplete balance back then. It grew fast, but the leaves were droopy. I had L. repens...not sure if it is the same plant as this Ludwigia that you all are talking about. I wonder how it'd do now...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey everyone. I got the crazy idea to change my substrate out as I was using plain gravel. I wanted to use something a little more nutritious for my plants, so I put in Flourite Black Sand. I also wanted to change my plants up. So, without further ado, here's the pics:

Before shot

Plants and wood removed, time to wrangle the fish

Fun fact: I thought I had one Oto left. Turns out, there's five hanging out in there! They hide behind the driftwood mostly.

Substrate and fish poop removed

Final product

Special thanks to Fresh20 for providing the pogo, star repens, and blyxa. Also, thanks to AquaKai for the crypt and the rotala.

The rotala came during the cold and didn't handle it super well, but all the stems have new growth. Once it comes in, I will be moving it back behind the driftwood.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome!

The plant in the back right in the final picture, is that the lemon bacopa?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is in the back middle on the before shot, back right on the after.

Planning where the blyxa japonica, sp red and ammania bonsai are going;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I've been busy. I didn't like how some of the plants were bunched in my tank. So I spent a lot of time fiddling today. I trimmed and moved my pogo, moved my cyperus helferi, Amazon compacta, and AR mini. I spread the blyxa out on the left side, and I trimmed my rotala and sent it back. I thinned out the Bacopa, and added the regular AR I bought at the pet store wherever I could fit it. Anyway, on to the pics!

Here's the left side:

Right side:

Full Tank Shot:

I also noticed one of my otos looking a little portly. I looked close and saw a yellow spot on the belly of it. Wondering if it could be eggs...

Nice! Right behind you...pogo is going into the left corner in my tank shortly.
Your tank looks very clean after a rescape. Mine looks like chocolate milk. When those roots comes up, hell is unleashed. I run one HOB with floss only to help clear it up.

You were my inspiration for the move haha. That, plus all the crap that ended up in the pogo.

My substrate is very immature compared to yours, plus it's sand so not much gets in there. It's still a little cloudy. That should clear up soon.

Fresh, did you get my pm the other day? Good luck on your rescape!

EC can trap a lot of poop, gunk, stuff.
Nope, just checked the inbox and nada.

I've got EC in my 10 gal and it's a very loosely compacted substrate, probably even more so than the gravel I had in this tank. I don't know how big of a fan I am of this substrate, it's tricky to vacuum and doesn't hold on to my plants (or fertilizer pellets) very well.

I got the EC for $9 a bag so it was a steal. I think it is basically tiny lava rock. The high CEC is probably its best asset. I kept the filters running during recent scape to capture the particulates. I just new to be diligent with cleaning the floss regularly.
If I were to start again, I would like to try one of the ADA products (AquaSoil) or the Brightwell substrate Brookster is doing on his rimless setup. Nutrient laden, roots friendly, and deep, dark color. Plants would rule!

Can't turn that deal away! I bought it because of the high CEC, thinking it would be a great planted substrate. I'd say it's fair. I think you're right, it's just crushed up lava rock.

When I did my rescape yesterday, I was amazed by how healthy and big some of the roots were on my plants. I know that Flourite isn't the best substrate, but it seems to work well, and it wasn't prohibitively expensive. Maybe once Brookster's tank establishes, I'll do some thinking about Brightwell in a new tank.

Can't turn that deal away! I bought it because of the high CEC, thinking it would be a great planted substrate. I'd say it's fair. I think you're right, it's just crushed up lava rock.

When I did my rescape yesterday, I was amazed by how healthy and big some of the roots were on my plants. I know that Flourite isn't the best substrate, but it seems to work well, and it wasn't prohibitively expensive. Maybe once Brookster's tank establishes, I'll do some thinking about Brightwell in a new tank.

Initial impression is good, let's see what the dhg looks like after a couple weeks. I know what it did in floramax.. im anticipating/expecting good things here..

I'm struggling with planting UG in EC. Have not tried DHG or other fine carpet plants.
Brookster - we're following.

Your UG is the crinkly looking foreground plant? What's UG stand for again? I like the look of it, but I know my cories would dig it up or eat it like they did the stars. Maybe when my current cories move on I'll get the dwarf version... Less destructive right?

UG = Utricularia graminifolia
It is a fine leaf creeping, carpeting plant. Runners are hair thin. Related to bladderwort. It also has small bladders but not sure if they are used for capturing prey. I'm growing a tiny patch of it. I've seen some nice carpets on this site (BrianNano12).
The crinkly leafed foreground plant is Pogostemon helferi or Downoi.

Last edited:
Dr Nano - I did not think "struggle" was in your vocabulary.
Interesting article on the bladderwort. You should ask Brookster how he feels about bladderwort.
One day I will try aquasoil. Or the Brightwell equivalent.

Hated it when I had it.. havnt seen it in a while though so unless it's lying in wait than we good now :)
If im.going to host anyone's bw... dr. Nano's via Fresh2o is always welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom