Raising KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a natural, stable way of increasing KH?

In my 50gal, I have a pleasant KH of 4, but in the 28gal it's <1. At least, the solution turns yellow on the first drop. I don't understand why they are different, I do everything the same in both, they both have plants and driftwood and gravel... bleh. It makes measuring CO2 levels in the 28gal very difficult.

I use Kent KH+... not natural, but it works...

I'm not sure but I think it's sodium bicarbonate which you could get in bulk....

Most likely the driftwood in your tanks is affecting the KH differently.

If the only reason you want to mess with your KH is to be able to determine your CO2, you'd be better off installing a CO2 drop checker.

Another possibility is the plants in the 28 are getting too much light and not enough CO2. Therefore they are consuming the KH to get the nutrients they need.

If you do use bicarbonate of soda or another buffer to increase the KH the results of the CO2 chart will not be correct.

I agree with Joy (Purrbox) that a drop checker would be the best solution.

Actually you can still use the chart if you add baking soda. The chart is based on KH so it will work still work as well as it ever does. It gets thrown off when other buffers beside carbonates are present.

read the posts on drop checkers. it is a much better way of measuring co2 than adding bicarbonate to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom