Rams and C02???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
I always start out by saying, "Hi, total newb here."

Do you guys use pressurized C02 with Rams? I have a Ram and was thinking about the possibility of going pressurized. If there's even a tiny chance of hurting her, then I'll go with out it. I just wanted some experienced fish keepers thoughts on it.

Thanks. I dose with Metricide.

I have just weeks ago moved some of myrams into my 180 with pressurized co2.
I note no problems.
I will as far as I know there are no fish that are sensitive to the amount f co2 we install if done properly.
I would bet on 'regular' ram 'issues' to be more of a concern then co2 IMO.

I'm pretty sure many keep rams with co2.

I've been keeping rams in co2 tanks, they've all pretty much been shortlived but I wouldn't pin premature deaths on co2. No obvious signs of co2 stress or gassing.. I'm beginning to think heavy doses of metricide would be more detrimental than anything else. Just a theory on my end though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a pair of coralbandit's rams (best rams out there!), and I've been pumping in pressurized C02 via a PH controller since 9/11/15. I've noticed no problems yet. I also daily dose fairly heavy with Metricide.

IME Rams do much better in Co2 setups because of the drop in PH. Rams are found in SA where the water is around 5.0-7.0. I think that the lower ph colors them up better and get them spawning. I have always seen nothing but positive benefits from rams in co2 dosed tanks

IME Rams do much better in Co2 setups because of the drop in PH. Rams are found in SA where the water is around 5.0-7.0. I think that the lower ph colors them up better and get them spawning. I have always seen nothing but positive benefits from rams in co2 dosed tanks
I'm not convinced it would make any difference, since co2 does not make the water any softer. The KH and GH stay the same, only the pH is lowered when co2 is added. Mixing in some RO water would be the way to get softer water.

One thing to keep in mind with more sensitive fish such as rams when injecting co2 is oxygen. As long as you have good gas exchange at the surface, keeping the water oxygenated, rams should easily be able to handle 30 - 40 ppm of CO2 with no issues. Of course more gas exchange means that more co2 will off-gas, so you will have to increase the co2 output accordingly, and have a good method of diffusion to make sure co2 concentration stays where it needs to be. An inline reactor of some sort would be best, in my opinion.

I'm not convinced it would make any difference, since co2 does not make the water any softer. The KH and GH stay the same, only the pH is lowered when co2 is added. Mixing in some RO water would be the way to get softer water.

One thing to keep in mind with more sensitive fish such as rams when injecting co2 is oxygen. As long as you have good gas exchange at the surface, keeping the water oxygenated, rams should easily be able to handle 30 - 40 ppm of CO2 with no issues. Of course more gas exchange means that more co2 will off-gas, so you will have to increase the co2 output accordingly, and have a good method of diffusion to make sure co2 concentration stays where it needs to be. An inline reactor of some sort would be best, in my opinion.

This is true, I forgot to mention that I have always kept them with tap water mixed with ro/di water to make it softer and the co2 just helps keep the ph down

Back
Top Bottom