Ramshorn and Mystery Snails - good or bad ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have one black mystery snail in my 29 gallon and I like him alot LOL. So I ordered 3 Ramshorn and 7 assorted color mystery snails to share between the 29 gal and the (soon to come) 10 gal divided betta tank.
Now that I'm looking at doing a planted tank I'm wondering if those snails are going to cause any problems (ie: eating heathy plant leaves) or will be good (by eating algae and dying leaves only).

The mystery snails, if they are Pomacea bridgesii, will not harm your plants.....however, if they are another Pomacea species, such as caniculata, they may. The ramshorn snails will go through your plants like a lawnmower.

I have a population (if you can call multitudes a "population") in my planted tank. They consume plant debris for the most part and have never chowed on my plants.

As far as the "mystery" snails are concerned, just make sure you get a p. bridgessi (Golden Apple snail). Sometimes, P. canna is mixed in and they love plants.

Here is a pic of ramshorns in my planted tank (sitting on the plant leaf, third level down):

Attachments

• sunsethygro_001_435.jpg
    sunsethygro_001_435.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 330
LOL I have so much to learn ... here are the exact species:
Pomacea bridgesii (so those are good - yeah) and
Marisa Cornuarietis (and those are bad - boo)

I ordered a total of 13 - 10 mystery P. bridgesii and 3 ramshorn M. Cornuarietis.

At least now I have a plan :)

The Mystery snails will go into the 29 gallon which I'll be planting
The bettas in their 2.5 gals will go into a shared 10 gal, and that's where I'll put the ramshorns since I'm keeping that tank silk plants only (at least for now)
One of the 2.5s will become a QT / hospital - I know its small but since I tend to get "little fish" (1 inch each) it should do for now - better than no QT at all
I think I'll get a betta for the last 2.5gal and keep it in the kitchen - might even get me to cook and clean in there once in awhile ROFL

Wow - did you see the drawings and photos of the internal organs and developing eggs ? and the EYES ! amazing stuff - thanks for the link

I've checked that site out. I still do not know how to tell the difference of a Pomacea canaliculata from a Pomacea bridgesii?

I bought a snail today that was labeled as an Albino Mystery Snail. I saw there was also a tag for black mystery snails and it said "Pomacea bridges" under it. Therefore, I'm guessing it's a Pomacea bridgesii?

RoK - go to the page called "species" (it doesn't change the URL , I'd send you the link) - about 1/3rd of the way down are the shell comparisons. It has to do with the angles of the two main parts of the shell. I'll BET there's alot of variation however, I know I wouldn't trust myself to make a positive ID - maybe you'll have better luck

Back
Top Bottom