RCS/Planted Tank Blog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I'm currently running a 10G shrimp tank. I'm facing some problems and could use some help:) this thread is for questions, comments, and advice.I will also post some updates with pictures and such. Im having a BBA outbreak and everyday it's getting much worse. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Lighting- two 20W CFL bulbs
One 8W fluorescent
Ferts- CO2-bubble a second
Filtration-aquaclear 50
lights on from 7:45AM to about 8:00PM
Stocking-
24 RCS
2 micro crabs
2 oto's
1 nerite snail
5 chili Rasboras
Right now, all my plants are pearling!

View attachment 77025

View attachment 77026

View attachment 77027

View attachment 77028

View attachment 77029

View attachment 77030

View attachment 77031

View attachment 77032

View attachment 77033

View attachment 77034

Just found another baby shrimp but none of my females are berried....don't know where he came from lol I've decided to start dosing my plants with excel to get rid of the BBA. It's starting to spread pretty badly. Today I found some on the gravel, I wouldnt be surprised to start finding some on the fish>.<

Way too much light and on for too long.
Reduce to 6 hours a day and only use 2 lights, not 3. Your CO2 can't keep up ?

And do you have any root tabs or other ferts ?

Coursair said:
Way too much light and on for too long.
Reduce to 6 hours a day and only use 2 lights, not 3. Your CO2 can't keep up ?

And do you have any root tabs or other ferts ?

Ok, I already took out the other light out for good now. I dont dose liquid ferts bec. I'm not sure of the ones that are shrimp safe. I also don't have root tabs but the substrate is flora max. Should I pick up some root tabs?

Coursair said:
Be very careful using excel around the Shrimp.

Do you have you intake covered with a nylon or sponge to protect your shrimp ?

Is it harmful to shrimp!? Should I take out all my shrimp then dose the tank?

Yes, I have a prefilter preventing shrimplets from getting sucked up:)

Austin.b said:
Ok, I already took out the other light out for good now. I dont dose liquid ferts bec. I'm not sure of the ones that are shrimp safe. I also don't have root tabs but the substrate is flora max. Should I pick up some root tabs?

Reduce how many hours of light. My tanks are on a timer. 4 hours on/4 off/4 on
I'd go down to 6 hours for now. You can chose the 6 hours when your home, so you can see your tank.

Coursair said:
Reduce how many hours of light. My tanks are on a timer. 4 hours on/4 off/4 on
I'd go down to 6 hours for now. You can chose the 6 hours when your home, so you can see your tank.

Ok I'll bring it down to 6. Will the shrimp be affected by the Excel?

Dang that thing is SWEET! Is it difficult to keep looking that nice?? I dont have co2 like you do :( haha

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Dang that thing is SWEET! Is it difficult to keep looking that nice?? I dont have co2 like you do :( haha

Haha thanks:) when I got the plant, I had to lower the tank temp to like 72 degrees bec. It likes cooler temperatures. If I had my tank at 78 still, it would melt. I dosent require CO2, but I'm pretty sure it needs higher light. It's sprouting TONS of new leaves from its bulb. The youngest leaf is dying :( I will probably trim that off tomm. I have about 6 new leaves coming in though lol:D

Back
Top Bottom