Re-doing my tank with a move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

I'm going to be moving my tank from its current location (on a counter that going into the room) onto a stand that I'm building against a wall.

While I'm moving the tank I've decided to re-scape the plants. Current setup looks pretty much like this:

What I plan on doing is to make it kind of a stepped up planted tank with one end being low growing, and the other end being the tall plants. I'll be adding some medium sized plants in the middle.

I'm going to start of on the low end with Dwarf Hairgrass (already have) and then Baby Tears (already have). I will then go to a medium grass (I have but don't know what it is called) moving up to the Amazon Sword.

I plan on getting rid of both the Java Firn and Java Moss. It does grow fast, but it just doesn't look good to me. I also have a couple pieces of a lilly pad looking plant that I'm going to be getting rid of as well.

For lighting I have 2x54 T5HO and 2x40 regular (will be upping to another T5HO soon). I also have the 5lb CO2 and I'm doing the estimated index dosing (just started this, boy what a difference). I do plan to have the filter spray bar over the low growing plants and the imput for the filter down by the tall ones.

I like the idea of getting shrimp (bamboo) and would like to see if they would go out over the low area. Also, I'm pretty much at a loss for the medium and tall plants.

So what I'm looking for are other ideas on plants? I'm not sure I'm set on my low growing plants.

Hmmm low growing plants. How low?

Let's see. These are my personal favs.

Amazon sword compacta: stays about 4 inches. I use these in our 40 in the mid areas.
Micro swords: make a good grassy look but a pain in the butt to plant unless you do it in a clump.
Echinodorus tennelus: narrow leaf chain sword. Is a good front grassy plant.
Dwarf sag: good front to mid.
Anubias nana: stays pretty low
Amazon swords: beautiful background plants
Echinodorus quadricostatus: broad leaf chain sword. great for mid areas
Red rubin or red flame sword: gets big and really nice red colors
actually, I like all swords so I'm biased :)

Any crypt works too for mid to back.
The wendtii bronze seems to stay low, like the compacta sword.
I have a "florida sunset" that has great oranges, reds and greens. That plant is my favorite but I do like all my other crypts.

For really tall backgrounds I like to use jungle val or chilensis sag mixed around swords.

See now you're making me want to order plants and I don't have my new tanks set up yet. *Sighs*

Where do you get your plants from? I'm thinking I just need to look at a ton of pictures and try to figure out where to go from there.

I happen to be local to Green Leaf Aquariums and he said he could order any just about any plants for me as well.

It is a 55g tank. I was able to get all the wood from Lowes today before a giant rain storm came through. Don't think I'll be able to work on it at all today as I don't have a garage and it is expected to rain all day. I'll prob get most of it done tomorrow after work then I have Tues and Wed off. I would like to be able to move the actual tank on wed.

Also, any advise on the type of sealant to use? I bought a 1/8" sheet for cover and I like the color so I don't think I will use any stain. I was thinking of just a clear polyurathane but didn't know if that would work for the hood when I do that later.

Ok, the move is complete and I'm going to be starting on the new scape soon! Here is a complete shot and a shot of my hopefully soon to be grass field:

Attachments

• New setup 2.jpg
    New setup 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Grass Field.jpg
    Grass Field.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 61
I forgot to mention that this kinda explains my plans... basically going from low growing plants to tall plants. I've got a batch of stuff coming in so hopefully that will go well with my plans!

Back
Top Bottom