Ready for plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Went this weekend and bought a dual T5 light fixture to replace my single T8 fixture, so I'm ready to start planting my 37 gal.

I'm about a 40min drive from That Pet Place and had never been there before, so went to take a look at the selection there this morning. It was recommended by a few on the forums that I get a 24W T5 fixture and that I should try to get a 10,000K bulb. I was looking at getting the Nova Extreme 30" 24W fixture which comes with one 10,000K daylight T5 lamp and one pink plant growth lamp, but two of the guys who work in the lighting department insisted that they have a lot of costumer returns/issues with the Nova Extremes and that I should get the dual 24W fixture from AquaticLife instead. I pointed out the fact that the AL fixture doesn't come with the 10K bulb but rather comes with one plant lamp and one 6,000K Lamp, but both insisted that it would be plenty of light for my tank. (tank demensions= 30"x12.5"x22.5") The Aquatic life had dual on/off switches and hardware to connect multiple fixtures together should I wish to add more light in the future, so I ended up purchasing that fixture instead of the Nova. Hopefully I made the right decision! I have to say overall, I was very pleased with the store..HUGE slection and good prices. I bought a 500ml bottle of Seachems Flourish for $8.99..the same bottle sells for $15.99 at my LFS (Petsmart)!

Anyway, I'm working on setting the light up this afternoon and want to jump right in with some plants. Right now I have just two little javaferns and three swords. I was thinking of ordering a plant package from sweetaquatics.com.. Any suggestions?

Plants I'm considering...

Crypt Crispatula
Crypt Retrospirals

Vallisnera biwaensis
Bacopa Australis

Crypt Wendtii
Crypt Walkeri

Java moss

I'm not too knowledgeable about T5 lighting, but I'm not sure how well the java fern will do with all that light. They do well in low light situations.

Never heard of issues with the Nova fixtures, but the AL sounds like it will work too. I have no experience with them though. Let us know how it works out. The plants you have chosen should do well.

Low light plants, just mean that they can survive with less light. Java Ferns, Anubias, and other low light plants are just fine in medium or even high light. Occasionally you might have a problem in higher light situations with algae tending to target them because they are slower growing, but this is often easily fixed by planting them in the shade of another plant or other decor.

Let us know how it goes... as I told you before my Novas have always been very reliable. The ones you got will probably be fine. Nothing to complicated in these lighting systems... pretty much balasts, lamp holders, some wires and some bulbs.

As far as the Java fern, they will be fine. They can grow in low light, but high light isnt going to hurt them. My experience with high light tanks and growing java ferns is that they will explode with new growth once they get used to the lighting in conditions (may take a few weeks or a couple of months). I started with 2 java ferns in my 29gal, and when I broke it down, I probably had 24+ of them growing in there, and I had given away dozens with plant packages I sent people.

Either way, I don't think you are even into high light yet... I think you are going to be good with your plant selections and you will be able to stay away from CO2/heavy fert regime.

Best of luck! Sounds like the tank is really coming together!

Insisting sales people make me uncomfortable! I'm thinking of going back one day this week to look around some more. My husband was along and hates pet/related stores and so sat outside while my children and I wondered around inside...which= I didn't have the opportunity to explore quite as much as I would have liked. I'll keep you updated!

something to consider... post in the classifieds section of this forum. People may be willing to ship you some or all of the plants you want for not much more than the cost of shipping (usually around $5-10).

Went back today- took a peek at the Novas and decided to exchange the AL. Took a look at their plant department but really didn't find anything interesting. Will keep that in mind about the classifieds. I'm still not 100% sure on what I should get and in what quantities. It's difficult trying to decide what I want when all I have is internet photos to go on!

The plants you originally listed will grow fine with standard cheapo lighting and just about any substrate.

If you start with those and like it, you almost won't be able to stop yourself from progressing to the more complicated lighting and harder to grow aquatic plants :)

The plants you originally listed will grow fine with standard cheapo lighting and just about any substrate.

Not sure I would agree with that... a single T-8 over a 37 gal tank won't grow much of anything except algae. You could keep the plants alive, but there would not be much growth... Of course you could give it a try. But I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance of a T5HO fixture instead of a stock single T8 bulb.

I have tried both single T8 and also double T5HO. You can accomplish it with low light on a T8. A double T8 fixture would be better and a T5HO is ideal. The plants will grow but won't look anything like those fancy aquascapes that we all dream over.

If you stick with the single T8 fixture that you have already, get a good bulb that is full spectrum and over 90 CRI. I would suggest you put it on a timer for 12 hrs / day and dose the flourish that you bought only after a water change. Anything more would encourage algae.

I guess my previous post was confusing. I exchanged the AquaticLife for a Nova. My spouse doesn't really "get" the obsession with my fish tank ;) so returning the AL made him happy because the Nova was a little less $. I actually didn't like the way the legs on the AL were screwed on; I couldn't get one of them as tight as I would have liked. Went back and picked up the Nova. I got it home and it wouldn't turn on. I drove the whole way back to the store and they had none of the Freshwater models left, so they took a Saltwater version (same fixture just different bulbs) and just swapped out the bulbs for me. I made them assemble that fixture before I left so I could make sure everything was ok!

The javafern are new aquisitions (10 days?) that are working on growing roots, but my swords have been in the tank for a month+ with the 20W T8 lamp and are doing just fine. I was afraid though that with the dept of my tank I'd have trouble keeping anything else alive..?

ChizerBunoi said:
If you stick with the single T8 fixture that you have already, get a good bulb that is full spectrum and over 90 CRI. I would suggest you put it on a timer for 12 hrs / day and dose the flourish that you bought only after a water change. Anything more would encourage algae.

That's pretty much what I've ben doing although I was using Florapride instead of the Flourish. How many hours/day should I run the T5 lighting?

Start with 8-10 hrs/day would be my advice. You can ramp that up a bit but that will be a decent amount.

Also pick up an analog timer. You can set it up for a siesta if you prefer to view your fish with the lights on in the morning and at night. It's better for the plants and fish if you have the lights on a consistent time. Also saves you from having to remember to turn the fixture on/off.

I guess third time to the lfs is how it goes huh?

Also pick up an analog timer. You can set it up for a siesta if you prefer to view your fish with the lights on in the morning and at night. It's better for the plants and fish if you have the lights on a consistent time. Also saves you from having to remember to turn the fixture on/off.

I guess third time to the lfs is how it goes huh?

Nothing is EVER easy, I swear!

I've been pretty consistant; I turn the light on at 8am when I put my son on the school bus and back off at 8pm when he goes to bed...easy to remember that way. ;-) I really do *need* to get a timer though for times when I am not home at the appropriate hour. Thanks for the reminder!

Especially hard when you are running late for the bus. I think its time to show us a picture.

Back
Top Bottom