ready to upgrade lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so im going to start with my 30 gal...just some easy low light plants....what wattage / spectrum? should I get???? Also I have a regular hood, this is fine right?

single bulb, 18w?

I think it will be borderline with what you currently have. Unfortunately, with florescent bulbs you cannot just buy higher wattage bulbs, like you can with incandescents. The fixture is made to except 18W bulbs.

The 5000K is a little low, but is close enough imo.

If it is single bulb, plants will be a challenge... but java moss, java fern, anubias, they might stay alive under that light (though they won't grow much).

Well, you could try it first and see how it goes. Just stick with plants that require minimum lighting. You are on the edge, so it might just work out ok, depending on how good your reflectors are, etc.

Even under optimal conditions though, you won't see a ton of growth. You will need to upgrade if you want to have much of a variety of choices, and want to see some growth/maturity from most plants.

So an upgrade to the fixture may be in order. It would make a dramatic difference... what do you have in mind? Budget/what kind of plants you want to grow/whether you want to inject CO2/fertilization.

Ok I don't want to deal with the CO2. I'm fine with low light plants but I have a java fern that's tiny in there and its looking pretty rough...brown spots, hasn't grown at all....I'm not trying to spend more than $100.

T5-ho 3ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting

That would be a good fixture for you. You could run 2 10000K bulbs in it, and get yourself medium light, probably about right on threshold of not needing CO2. You would need to look into fertilizing though as you continue to add plants. If you want good low light, you could run 1 actinic (blue) bulb and 1 10000k or 6700K bulb. So, it would give you options.

Or you could run open topped. My tanks are all open top.

I was assuming your 30g is 36" wide by the way, so check that and make sure before you buy a 36" light. There are different size 30g tanks.

Oh! I never even thought of that...so is there like a clamp or bracket to attach the light to the tank? I will have to see it in person....my tank is 36" :) that I kno! Lol

Im excited! Im going to see if my lfs has these in stock I know they have a ton of bulbs, and tanks etc...

They won't have this particular fixture in stock. They might have a dual T5HO fixture of some sort, but it will most likely be $100+.

Yup...that's what I found...online ordering it is....ummmm i was just wondering if u know how much of an impact this going to have on my electric bill....lol stupid question im sure....

not much. T5HOs are pretty efficient. No as efficient as LEDs, but better than incandescents.

Back
Top Bottom