really dumb question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went looking for the rhizome of my two java ferns, that aren't exactly thriving, so that I could replant them. When I pulled them up I realised that what I originally thought was a root ball is actually a piece of sponge wrapped in a metal band. I am pretty emabarassed to ask this, but am I supposed to plant this or take it off?

I took one off and discovered that there isn't a single root and that all I have is a series of unconnected leaves. I stuck them back in my sand... but will they grow roots?

elle

If I had java fern leaves with no roots, I think I would do this.

Take the leaves and place them in either a large hole mesh bag or place them in a mesh net breeder. It might just give them the chance they need to start rooting. I have never heard about just having leaves from a fern but I hope this at least gives you an idea. Let us know if it works or if you see any roots.

i always remove the metal bands. they shouldn't be necessary in most cases, and usually do more harm than good, by rotting the plant material its wrapped around.

But, let me get this straight..you have a bunching of java fern leaves that aren't connected to each other at the base? if that's the case, you weren't sold a java fern plant, but a wad of leaves, as I doubt the rhizome completed dissolved, and its not the first time I've seen someone fall victim to this.

I'd be wary of buying plants from where ever you got that.

if its just a bunch of leaves, you might just wanna float them in the tank, and hope that some plantlets grow from left over spores on the leaves.

Yes, I am afraid that I think I was sold a a bunch of leaves too. There is no evidence that roots ever existed. I did notice that something does appear to be growing on the leaves... If it is new plants what do I do with them. I bought the plants (leaves) at Big Als.

If they are new plants, let them grow. Eventually you will have enough leaves and roots to anchor them to something so they can grow. Best of luck.

I think they are Java ferns.. I was told they were but I wouldn't really know.. on one of these pictures you can kind of see the black spots on the leaves.

Attachments

• imgp0823_186.jpg
    imgp0823_186.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 12
  • imgp0824_653.jpg
    imgp0824_653.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 14
  • imgp0825_127.jpg
    imgp0825_127.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom