Really need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I have a 55g and bought it planning on delving into the world of planted tanks. I have been researching what it will take to start and am now at the point of just going artificial. I have been reading conflicting articles from running co2 and components involved to, the most confusing aspect, lighting the specs and cost. I have a canister filter picked, a 2217 Eheim and the plants too. Are there LEDs for plants? If anyone can offer advice or steer me in the correct direction I would really appreciate it!
Thanks

So, you are asking about lighting?

There are definitely LED fixtures that will work for plants. Do you have an DIY electrical skills? If you want LED, a DIY build would be best, imo.

I am very new to the 'plant world to' but I will try to pass on what I have learned.
Last week is when I got my first preshuized co2 system (I love it) it seemed over whelming at the time but many people make it much more complex then it needs to be.
I have a marineland reef compatable led light on my 40 gallon tank. (I also have a t5 HO) but the plants did not perl till I got the leds! (I honestly think that in 10+ years LEDS will be the only thing sold, I like them that much!)

I don't know much but I like to think I am helping... lol

I agree with fort about the DIY leds (I just don't have any electrical skills)

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have to go LED but would like a clean fixture on my tank and would like to avoid suspension if I could. A buddy gave me a MH fixture but I don't think 145w is enough. The fixture and ballast are also split and spliced to a point they are not feasible to use. What kind of lights do i need? I heard that CF and T5s are being phased out.? I have a co2 regulator and an empty co2 tank. What else would I need in that area? Can I test the regulator? Do I need a co2 condenser? I have heard conflicting answers to all of the above.

I will let fort take this one...lol. I just don't know that much (sorry)

fishfanatic said:
I am very new to the 'plant world to' but I will try to pass on what I have learned.
Last week is when I got my first preshuized co2 system (I love it) it seemed over whelming at the time but many people make it much more complex then it needs to be.
I have a marineland reef compatable led light on my 40 gallon tank. (I also have a t5 HO) but the plants did not perl till I got the leds! (I honestly think that in 10+ years LEDS will be the only thing sold, I like them that much!)

I don't know much but I like to think I am helping... lol

I agree with fort about the DIY leds (I just don't have any electrical skills)

I was thinking about the marineland reef capable LEDs too. I am glad to hear I wasn't the only one!

T5HOs are not being phased out. I like them quite a bit. Fishneedit.com has some very economical fixtures that would work well.

For CO2, you need to get the tank filled, and you will need to leak check the regulator using soapy water. Does the regulator have a needle valve built into it? You will need that as you need a valve that will allow only a very small amount of CO2 to come out. If you are unsure, just post a pic of your regulator setup.

You will need some method of diffusion to get the CO2 into the tank. With a canister filter and a 55 gal tank, I would recommend you build a DIY inline CO2 reactor (or you can buy 1 in the classifieds forum for $15, someone is selling them there). They are very easy to make, and will keep any more equipment from going inside the tank.

The only thing about the marineland leds is that they don't have very much red in there spectrum. (I will attach a pic)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110502_201347.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110502_201347.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 42
fishfanatic said:
The only thing about the marineland leds is that they don't have very much red in there spectrum. (I will attach a pic)

And don't get me wrong T5 HO's are awesome!

Thanks, I will post a pic of the regulator and see what you guys think. I will also get a regulator. How is the wattage for lighting work? I heard the gallon to wattage ratio but also read that it is not reliable.
FishFanatic, ALL advice is appreciated and we all have something to contribute.

T5 is the size of the bulb, in 1/8ths of an inch, I.e. 5/8 diameter. HO = high output

Back
Top Bottom