Rebirth of a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks!

I know you said you used 4 bags of flourite, but how many pounds did you use? I am planning on setting up a 29 gallon planted tank so I am trying to figure out how deep my substrate should be

I used approx. 60lbs...each bag of Flourite was about 15lbs. That got me about 3-3.5 inches in the back and about 2-2.5 in the front of the tank.

New pic taken on 2/11
4350302648_dec40164c3.jpg

Some of the plants were in need of trimming....and some still are. :) Everything is growing nicely. Some plants I wish were a little more pink or red than they are...and I wish the Glosso would grow shorter, but its growing, so I shouldn't complain!

I still don't have any fish. The ones I want aren't sold locally so I have to order online and the place I want to order from isn't shipping yet because of the cold. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon for everyone. Meanwhile, I'm just enjoying the plants.

Last edited:
Wonderfully magnificent lol (sidebar: I'm reading Great Expectations for English class btw :ROFLMAO:). Where did you get that dw?

Nice look. Good job as always. Were are you hiding the Co2 diffuser?

Look at that. I love the glass ones. They are easy to hide, even in plain site. They do a good job as well. How often do you have to change the tank out (refill it).

Actually that glass one on the right is the CO2 indicator, not the diffuser... I personally don't see the diffuser.

I'm guessing a co2 indicator detects the amount of co2 in the water? I'm not very experienced in CO2 injection lol

I'm guessing a co2 indicator detects the amount of co2 in the water?
That's correct. Basically you add a KH Reference Solution to the indicator along with some indicator solution (basically PH indicator). By using a KH Reference Solution of 4 dKH when the solution turns green you know that you have 30ppm of CO2. By adjusting the KH Reference Solution you can set what level of CO2 will show as green.

The diffuser is in the very back...you can see the airline down the back of the tank...it looks light blue in the picture. You can see the bubbles coming from the diffuser as well. :D

Thanks for the comments!

Etunes, I assume you are asking about the co2 tank? I have to refill it about once a year...sometimes more often...but no more than about every 10 months or so. I have a 20lb tank so it lasts a while.

Sorry Wayne, I saw your question, but forgot to answer it!

I got the driftwood from a guy on one of the plant forums I go to. It's manzanita wood. There is a website, manzanita.com, that sells it for tanks too.

Great looking layout. Wood isn't from Jake(Badcopnofishtank) is it looks like the kind of quality he sells

Thanks Craig. :) Yep, the wood is from Jake. That is where I buy all my manzanita now. He's a good guy to deal with.

So I finally stocked this tank! I was waiting for it to warm up so I could get fish shipped to me.

Pics!
4480161627_65ed4ce386.jpg

Sundadanio axelrodi 'blue'

4480811928_93fda8c43a.jpg

Amano shrimp

4480163605_5a9ffd61d9.jpg

Apistogramma agassizii 'double red' female

4480164675_3d65571331.jpg

Cherry Shrimp

I put the Cherries in there a couple weeks ago just to have something in the tank (instead of feeding invisible fish). I think I put maybe 6-8 in there.

My stocking now is:

10 Sundadanio axelrodi blue
4 Amano shrimp
6-8 Cherry Shrimp
2 Apistogramma agassizii double red (m/f pair)
6 Corydoras habrosus (wouldn't pose for the camera)

I plan on adding:
10 Danio Choprae
3 Sparkling Gouramis

And that will stock the tank. Sounds like alot of fish, but most of them are tiny. :)

I'm going to attempt some better pics tomorrow when all the lights are on over the tank. It was too dark today, plus the fish were still settling in. I'll get a full tank shot too.

Back
Top Bottom