Rebirth of a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
My 29g was home to Multis (shell dwelling Cichlids)...and before that it was a planted tank. I didn't give the Multis enough attention, so I've sold them and am setting the tank back up as a planted tank. I'm going to try to keep this as a journal. :rolleyes:

Here are the specs:

Substrate: Flourite Black (4 bags) with a sprinkling of peat underneath
Filter: Rena XP2
Co2: Pressurized diffused with glass diffuser
Lighting: Nova Extreme 2x39w T5HO (8 hours), Nova Extreme 2x24w T5HO (5 hours); If that proves to be too much light, I'll decrease the 2x24w)
Fertilizers: Dry ferts, Flourish, Flourish Iron

Plants so far: Hygrophila sp. guinea, Ludwigia senegalensis (aka sp. guinea), Rotala wallichi, Pogostemon stellatus 'narrow', Limnophila sp. wavy, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red', couple stems of Limnophila sp. mini, Flame moss on wood, couple stems of Pogostemon erectum, Tonina fluviatilis

Setup pics:

Rinsing flourite :silly:
img_1060165_0_7269f38da624ea437e043a0f4ff0e043.jpg

img_1060165_1_8f4023d398fad00267f3cb7ede423a13.jpg

Hardscape (terrible P&S pic)
img_1060165_2_dadf24564c4eac8e209315706071ae66.jpg

I'll update sometime tomorrow with some planted pics. There were tons of bubbles from planting/filling today and I couldn't get a good pic.

Sorry about the crappy hardscape pic! I wasn't crazy about the hardscape (used what manzanita wood I had on hand and the good pieces are in my 40g and 20g), but once it was planted, it looks better.

Last edited:
I cant even imagine how nice this is going to look! All of your tanks look super awesome, i know this one will too :) I like the way the dw looks, and i cant wait to see some plants in there

Pics as promised!

4211865024_f3c9ee4752_b.jpg

4211865858_df8388c29c.jpg

Ludwigia senegalensis (aka guinea)
4211869002_bc1212b642.jpg

Limnophila sp. wavy
4211869370_c48e5e0ebe.jpg

Tonina fluviatilis (was getting shaded in my 40g)
4211868300_e5ededd00c.jpg

Rotala wallichi
4211868178_877660c657.jpg

I still have several plants to decide on and buy. I plan on using Glosso in the foreground and getting a couple more types of stems and a couple more Crypts. I'm going to try not to have collectoritis with this tank, but its there are too many plants I want! :D

I have some ideas for fish, but not definite plants. Some that I am considering are Danio choprae (definite), Microrasbora kubotai, Sparkling gouramis, Aspidoras sp. (definite), Shrimp, and Apistos.

The filter is cycled, so the tank should be cycled...haven't checked any parameters yet though. There was some mulm from the old sand in the tank to help seed the Flourite.

I still don't love the wood....so I might toy with some of the wood from the 20g and see if I can find something that suits me. :)

Updates to come!

Last edited:
Looks awesome! You definitely have a knack for scaping great tanks. I love your fish choices too.

New Pics!

4278128672_1a8c24b1be_b.jpg

Check out that green algae background! It was on all the glass until I started scraping. Still need to get that lower back glass though. Atleast something is happy in there. :rolleyes:

4278131508_0774bc9dee_b.jpg

Plant pics:

Rotala wallichi
4277383581_fd4984dcdc.jpg

Ammannia bonsai aka true Rotala indica
4277382657_cc14dce304.jpg

Rotala sp. 'butterfly'
4277382123_e3e0dbbc09.jpg

Flame moss
4278130152_74dbf29d02.jpg

Plant list:
Hygrophila sp. guinea
Ludwigia senegalensis (aka sp. guinea)
Rotala wallichi
Pogostemon stellatus 'narrow'
Limnophila sp. wavy
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red'
Limnophila sp. mini
Flame moss on wood
Pogostemon erectum
Tonina fluviatilis
Rotala sp. 'butterfly'
Rotala h'ra (aka gai lai)
Ammannia bonsai/Rotala indica
Rotala sp. goias
Rotala sp. araguaia
Glosso

I have a problem collecting plants. :)

No fish yet...waiting on warmer weather so I can order the fish I want online.

I have a problem collecting plants. :)

Me too! Your tank looks great!

I have some new plants coming in soon for my 55 and I have no idea where I'm going to put them...just can't bear to get rid of anything!

Thanks, ya'll!

Is it CO2 injected and what are the lights? Beautiful i tell you.

I have pressurized co2 and the lights are 2x39w and 2x24w T5HO. I have Giesemann bulbs in the 39w fixture...waiting on the 24w Giesemann bulbs to get here. :)

Brooke, I always see plants for sale and end up buying them before I figure out where they will go. And I agree, I don't want to get rid of anything either...I just keep moving more in.

Last edited:
It looks great, very natural!!! Heres a strange question, do you feel like your plants are placed? I have had many planted tanks and I never felt like they looked natural. Everyone else did. They were covered in plants and I still felt like they were placed. I ask because your tank looks so natural. Like Takashi Amano setup.

Like Takashi Amano setup.

Talk about a man with too much time/space/money, but yet i am still so jelous. I always have a conflicting intrist with the nice planted tanks that look awsome with the tiny fish against the big cool looking fish that take more spcae. I can't wait to start my 76, i am so gitty about it. :dope:

I know you said you used 4 bags of flourite, but how many pounds did you use? I am planning on setting up a 29 gallon planted tank so I am trying to figure out how deep my substrate should be

Back
Top Bottom