recently planted tank ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ViolentJayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello , Im new here . I have had a 30 gallon freshwater tank with nothing but an ACF in it for years . Im sorry to say the poor frog was sadly neglected .. the water was always a nightmare and cleaning was even worse . Recently I discovered plant aquariums and fell in LOVE I am in the process of transforming My Aquarium to planted now The tank is well cycled and I have 0 ammonia . I added some cambomba and anacharais a month ago and they are doing great ! I plan to order more plants online as My local pet shops have almost nothing . I also added 10 tetras ( I know with an ACF ? ) but I wanted more life in general in the tank trying to go very natural and so far she hasnt shown interest in eating them . they are calm and dont tend to school in fear often . I have 2 mystery snails and 4 misc snails as well as a few ghost shrimp My ACF does snack on . the bottom is pea/river gravel with a small beach of sand in one corner . My question is even with the 0 amonnia and a 25 % water change yesterday My ph is still reading slightly acidic . I only have a stupid strip kit for the ph and as far as i can tell its between 6.2 and 6.8 . the fish seem to be hanging near the top today but dont seem distressed . is this a tollerable ph ? should I increase ? can I increase with salt ? I do have aquarium salts . I could do another 25 % water change ? Ive had this ACF for 6 years and now that I realize how badly I was caring for her I want to give her the best life possible for the rest of her life

details the tank has been sat up for about 4 years plants added 4-5 weeks ago

Hello Vio...

Your water is acidic, but aquatic plants prefer this type of water chemistry to a higher pH. Most fish you get at the pet store are adaptable and should do fine. I would add more floating plants like Anacharis and possibly some Hornwort and Pennywort. A stable water chemistry is preferable to a particular chemistry. So, I wouldn't try to make any changes. Stick with the large, frequent water changes and your fish and plants should be fine.

B

Back
Top Bottom